RTH!! Rear driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sorry, but i dont have all the time in the world to search, so... is it possible to drive without the rear driveshaft? I just ordered new u-joints and cant get out of the shop till they get here tomorrow, but i have to get home. Will it make it 10 miles???

thanks in advance:hillbilly:

ryan..... i BELIEVE you will be fine if you lock the CDL and remove the rear shaft for your drive home. No racing :D . you should have a second vote on the matter shortly.

oh yeah and hurry up w/ pics of the pig !!!

yeah, i winged it, just drove from my shop, to napa, didnt lock the cdl till i realized i was doing 10 when it sdaid like 30 .. doh!

but i hit the cdl in time, and she runs fine like that.

thanks for the input fzj80

if you dont have CDL mod, just go 4Lo. and 2x on no racing

i got the button, well, 2 hazard switches.

It gets confusing

Don't need the switch. Shift low range to lock, remove the diff fuse, shift high and drive, when you want to unlock simply replace the fuse.

yeah, i winged it, just drove from my shop, to napa, didnt lock the cdl till i realized i was doing 10 when it sdaid like 30 .. doh!

You didn't say how far you went but you should know that is the way people trash the viscous coupler (VC) in the center diff.

-B-

I drove for a few hundred miles this Winter with the cdl locked and no rear drive shaft.....Made me appreciate AWD that much more......

but i hit the cdl in time, and she runs fine like that.

thanks for the input fzj80

x2 what B said, your VC will fry driving without the CDL locked and one driveshaft.

Would it be ok to drive with the CDL button on, without the rear DS, and the VC removed with the 7-pin mod?

Would it be ok to drive with the CDL button on, without the rear DS, and the VC removed with the 7-pin mod?

Yep, as long as the CDL is locked, it is fine to drive with ether shaft removed.

Thanks Tools. I guess I should fill everyone in on the senerio. I was out on broken arrow and toward the end of the trail my tow bar got hung up on a rock which caused me to loose traction since one of my front and rear tires were not making contact. I was in low but didn't have my CDL locked. I was stuck so I got out and put a couple of rocks under the tires, locked the CDL, and got out without a problem. On the way home I noticed a slight whirling, creaking noise coming from the rear. I got out to see what the probem was but nothing stood out. When I got home I greased both drive shafts and took it for a spin but I could still hear the noise and occasionally I could feel a slight shake. The noise is only heard when I step on the gas and it only happens once in awhile. I removed the rear drive shaft and the noise is gone. I did notice that the joints on the DS need to be replaced but what else should I check while I'm under there? Any info would be great...

I'm able to move it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

If that is turning it is fine. There should be no play in any other direction, up/down, side to side or in and out.

LIke others have said lock CDL and you are good to go
I drove around for like a week with just front wheel drive while I was having shaft work done
Not a problem

20.creation.jpg

How would you maintain road speed in low range?:confused:

Caaraa forgot one step. If you don't have the swith then shift into low to lock the center diff. Shut down the truck and pull the connector on the transfer case to the center diff lock motor so it can't run again. Go back startup and shift to high range. The center will remained locked. You may want to stuff something in the hole from the driveshaft to keep it clean and keep and oil from leaking out.

Don't need the switch. Shift low range to lock, remove the diff fuse, shift high and drive, when you want to unlock simply replace the fuse.

this, I did not know...

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom