RTH - Rear Axle/Hub/Brake Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dug into my rear axle this morning because I had noticed the P/S leaking oil. The D/S locknut was only hand tight. P/S seemed about right. Both axles have wear marks from axle seals -- P/S more pronounced and irregular than D/S. Both outer bearings just fell out when I pulled the hub???

1) I plan to blast everything with brake cleaner. I have never had any problems with my parking brake -- should I tear apart the P/S parking brake since it has been bathed in gear oil? My gut tells me to clean it up really well and move on. Anything I should be careful of here? Would the oil ruin the shoe material?

2) I assume a little bit of axle wear near the axle seal is normal. I see the FSM states 0.8mm maximum runout on the axleshaft, but isn't clear about the flanged end where it contacts the seal.

I am going to have a shop press in the new bearings. After tearing everything apart, I decided to replace calipers and hub studs as well.

I have read through the FAQ and searched a bit. Just want to see if I am missing anything big.

Photos:
D/S spindle and parking brake paraphernalia
D/S axle
P/S spindle bathed in goop
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG

Thought I would post up my results due to the overwhelming interest in this thread. Everything cleaned up much better than I had anticipated. Turns out that the outer bearing is not pressed into place -- so I had no reason to be concerned in the first place. I had the machine shop check the axle run-out and everything was fine.

This job is pretty straightforward and MUCH less messy than the front axle.

Lessons learned:
1) Since I do not own a press yet, the modest machine shop charge to clean up both hubs, press in both inner bearings and seals, and press in new hub studs was well worth it.
2) I think a brass punch would both be good tool for both front and rear axle jobs. I have been using a drift, but I think a punch would allow you to gently tap the edges of the cone washers to break their seal with the drive flange.

My rear axle is totally due for rebuild and new rear rotors before the beach this October.

For the cone washers - use a bigger hammer. And once you have the brass punch you won't need the machine shop anymore. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom