RTH: Pulling out the carpet. Is this normal ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

As always, I think I bit more than I can chew... Today, I decided to pull out the nasty filthy carpet on my otherwise clean stock 40th anniv. First I'd like to note that this is not the first time I pull out the interior of an 80. I've done this on a couple of early 1990's JDMs. cloth manual RHDs. But this is my first power US Spec late model 80. I starterd with the seats, console and pillers. The thing I am confused about is: it seems like if the carpet and the jute padding on the PS floor is glued down :hmm::confused: All the other 80s I worked on were not glued ( the carpet was just molded to shape and sitting in place for the most parts, the glue was only on a strategic spot where the front carpet meets the middle section carpet ).

Please take a look at the pic and tell me something... My goal in this project is to heat MOLD my own carpet and replace the nasty exsisting one. Adding a new jute padding and a layer of FATMAT sound deadening material.

It's too late to go back now so, I've done pulling that section out. How can I clean this fuzzy mess down to the metal the best way. ? Thanks.
Untitled111.jpg

How about a simple propane torch and just singe the fuzzy off?

:hillbilly:

How about a simple propane torch and just singe the fuzzy off?

:hillbilly:

Yeah right, my wife and I have already had our fight today, thanks though. :)

But seriously, I need the least invasive method ( keeping the floor pan paint is a must....

goo-gone and a plastic putty knife (to keep from scratching the paint)? isopropyl alcohol, or MEK will also work

hmmm... interesting, btw... is the goo gone similar to Oops! mess remover ? a spray can paint ans such remover ?

Well, the search yelds results on using air chisel, dry ice and patience.

I need to get fresh, clean, undamaged floor pans. Anyone knows if that is even achievable?

Well, the search yelds results on using air chisel, dry ice and patience.

I need to get fresh, clean, undamaged floor pans. Anyone knows if that is even achievable?

Wire wheel and then some spray bomb it?

I took may nasty carpet out and to it to a high pressure car wash. I put engine degreaser on the bad spots, soaped, and then rinsed. It came out pretty good.

I got the fuzzy stuff out with a wire brush and a lot of elbow grease. Cleaned the brush once in a while and it all came off perfectly.

3M makes a disc that is meant to pull gasket off flanges but not chew the metal at all - however, it's going to send all that it pulls up airborne, so you essentially would have to drape plastic over the rest of the interior. It's a disc about an inch thick & fits the threads on a standard 4 1/2" grinder - looks similar to pumice rock.

I'd try the dry ice & putty scraper before resorting to one of those discs. Or singe it like suggested & then just coat over it with some roller applied sound deadener/bed liner product.

It's asphalt sound deadener that has melted a little over you catalytic converter and got a little fuzzy from the carpet above. Dry ice is a MUCH easier and cleaner option man!

If youre putting new carpet in why do you care about the paint on the floor pans??? Nobody will see if you spray bomb them... You seem to be looking for a complicated, time consuming solution to a simple problem. Wire brush on a drill, 3m disc, heat/putty knife.... The wire brush or the 3m disc would probably be the quickest.

D

^^ Yeah, thats what I would do.....

D

I think I'd do the spray-on sound deadener. It would be much easier then trying to remove what's there.

I just completed my floors and had no problem with this stuff ...sprayed windex on it and hit it with a wire wheel on a high speed drill ....10 min a side max. You'll have fuzzy stuff flying all over the place....if you have a helper....have them hold a shop vac hose close to the wheel ...works great..I don't have any pic's of the clean floor but here's the finished floor...
I not sure what's involved or the cost of heat molded carpet...I just ordered factory carpet from CruiserDan....my rear carpet and wheel well pieces are in great shape. The front carpet was $469.00 plus shipping... if you need all four pieces it was $870..approx plus shipping...i felt it was worth the price and not sure how much longer it will be available. Best of luck to you....here's what you can look forward to after the mess...:)

Lou
P1010728.jpg
P1010742.jpg

How much did you spend on Dynamat? If less than $400, where did you buy it?

I bought 3 boxes of Dynamat Xtreme Bulk pack from Amazon for $120 a box....I also did my roof with Dynamat and Dynaliner....

But for the money you can by 100 feet of FatMat product Rattle Trap Extreme 80 mil for $132 on Amazon. I'm using that on my doors and behind the cargo panels in the rear...you can see what I've done...click the link below.

Moe, did you get your floors cleaned yet?

Lou
P1010410.jpg
P1010414.jpg

Luke111 You are such a tease ! And all that Dynamat, not to mention that I read you've got a complete carpet set from CDan... Not fair man !!

To answer your question, no. I had to stop everything cause I ran out of time and I had to get the vehicle back in a drivable shape to get back to work. I haven't put the carpet back nor the front pass seat. Just the driver seat so I can drive again. Man, the noise you will hear without the carpet is just unbelieveable.

Let me ask you about your project. So, you said you hit it with windex first. Did you let it soak for a while first? also, Using a wirewheel on a hi speed drill. How safe was that on you floors' finish. I know, alot of folks here suggested leaving the tar mat alone, putting the new carpet on top of it or even putting the sound deadener atop of the OEM stuff. Some said to paint the floors after scrapeing them. But my OCD wont let me sleep the night if it was anything less than perfect. I have to get down to squeaky clean floors with paint intact before I lay my sound deadener. and that's it... :):bang:

BTW Luke. Are those aatlas's leather seat covers? I love those things... Going to order mine as soon as I'm done with the flooring.

Thank you... great job on your truck... Looks really beautiful...

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom