RTH: Power Steering Pump Whine, whacky battery voltage, DRL in-op... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thread title pretty much sums it up and it has me scratching my head.

Backstory:

Just recently put a new lift (about 2 weeks ago now) on the truck and disengaged AHC - specifically unplugged the three connections under the dash that control AHC and the control module in the center console.

Truck has been uneventful since the lift and none of these symptoms were present prior.

2 days ago wife and I went to the park for a walk, started the truck to leave and immediately a whine started coming from the engine bay. The truck didn't even have a hint of whine before. Very much sounds like the PS pump - RPM dependent, variable when turning the wheel while in park. No change in steering whatsoever though which seems odd to me.

Checked PS pump level - old fluid but level is fine.
Checked hoses - cooling lines, return lines, high pressure lines. No leaks that I can see.
Additionally there seemed to be a small amount of smoke coming from the area where the pump is and I don't see fluid anywhere.
As mentioned before steering is normal besides the noise.

On top of this I noticed while driving home the voltage on the battery meter seems to be indicating much more variability in voltage than normal. Under load it actually seems to go up a little bit, stills hangs out just under 14 volts, but dips when the truck is idling. It's not bouncing around but it's never really moved before
- Battery is < 1 year old Odyssey

Lastly, I turned the truck on this morning and for whatever reason now the DRL's are in-op. :bang:

I know the rational thing to do is comb through everything I worked on to make sure I didn't eff anything up, but I'm wondering if someone is aware of some low-hanging fruit that matches up with these symptoms that I'm not finding in SEARCH.

Any ideas???

Forgot to mention - I'm wondering if it could be the alternator? causing the PS pump to crap out and that's why I'm having weird electrical issues?

First, I'd pull off the belt and make sure everything is spinning freely. Smoke usually means something is dragging.

Alternator it is... ended up taking the truck to the dealership. Impatient as I am I already ordered a PS pump so I ended up getting both replaced. Hopefully one less thing to think about for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom