RTH Please...... Leak below heater valve...97’ LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a leak here..... before I attempt this, how many 🍌’s to do this? I will review FSM for hose size, etc

thanks!
EE495566-8B25-466D-ABB6-3E71C5D41283.jpeg

Just replacing the valve is a :banana: job. There are a few threads on procedure, something like put the heater control to full hot, then taking off the cable...but I may have that wrong.

Is this leak at the valve or the hose below. Hose is a little difficult to get to on the firewall. Valve is easier.

thanks! Looks like it is hose below....

Some have placed a board over the engine bay so that you can belly up to that areas and get at the hose. If you are doing this take great care about the little radiator connector on the top housing of the radiator.

IF your heater valve is the original, it would be a good idea to replace it and the hoses connecting to it and your heater core.

Though the valve might look fine outwardly...if it is the least bit brown looking it has degraded and might fail at some point leaving you with a virtual geyser of coolant spraying everywhere. Mine didn't look all that bad....but when I pulled the hoses back I able to see that fittings ends were very discolored and brittle.

The only challenge is reaching everything (especially the hoses) since all of it at the firewall, some of it behind the valve cover. It's a long reach from the side of the vehicle. A 'Belly Board' and a small step stool make the job much easier.

heater valve.png
Heater Valve Brittle.jpg
Belly Board2.jpg

Heater Valve New.jpg

Yes belly board is a great idea and yes Flintknapper I think it’s a good idea to replace it all while I am there.... appreciate the pics

Thanks everyone!

Yea I don’t care to do that again. It was a 🍌 job but the hoses at the firewall were a pain. Replaced OEM clamps with better. All new hoses felt good. Did confirm during my looking for leaks that PO did indeed do the PHH and used silicon tubing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom