RTH: No Power to Evap Canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elk

Threads
Hello MUDer's. I have a request for some assistance. Back in February I had rodent damage to my main engine harness from squirrels. After dealing with insurance, I took the truck (2009 LC200) to the local Toyota dealer for repair. I am friendly with the lead tech who is one of the few people I let touch my trucks. He performed the Toyota spec'd wire crimp repair to five points of the main harness that were damaged. The total cost came to $1,100, which was better than the $13,000 originally quoted for a new harness R&R. Insurance paid, the idiot lights went away and the damage was sealed up nicely.

Last week, the VSC/Trac, Error Light, and 4LO came back on. I thought it might be harness related. Toyota had a warranty on their repair, so I took it back. There was no visible evidence of squirrel damage. The tech that performed the repair has moved on to a revolving position between a few regional Toyota dealerships and is no longer at my local. The new tech spent 1.5 days diagnosing the car and cannot find any visible damage. The only error he can find is that the charcoal canister is not getting power. The only error code I was able to pull with my home copy of TechStream was C1021 (Generic Engine) and P0453 (Evap System).

Toyota wants me to contact my insurance and wants to proceed with pulling the interior to inspect the harness feeding power to the charcoal canister. My eyes water at the bill if insurance is notified but rodent damage is not found. I told the dealer to button the car back up and we settled on a diagnostic charge of $500, which is still more than I want to spend for no answer.

I have researched the charcoal canister issues. I also have a new fuel cap to try. I will reset the codes and clear the computer from the battery as well. My only concern is that there is no power to the canister. Can anyone provide some input? I feel that rodent damage inside the actual cabin is highly unlikely and don't want to proceed with tearing everything apart only to find nothing and be liable for the costs.

I just had to repair rodent damage to the harness going to the evap can myself. The p0453 code cleared but still fighting abs codes. Just dropped her off to the dealer to see what’s going on. Good luck with your situation.

Meant to add that something also chewed on wires in my engine bag, passenger side, at the firewall.

20200708_081841.jpg

Hello MUDer's. I have a request for some assistance. Back in February I had rodent damage to my main engine harness from squirrels. After dealing with insurance, I took the truck (2009 LC200) to the local Toyota dealer for repair. I am friendly with the lead tech who is one of the few people I let touch my trucks. He performed the Toyota spec'd wire crimp repair to five points of the main harness that were damaged. The total cost came to $1,100, which was better than the $13,000 originally quoted for a new harness R&R. Insurance paid, the idiot lights went away and the damage was sealed up nicely.

Last week, the VSC/Trac, Error Light, and 4LO came back on. I thought it might be harness related. Toyota had a warranty on their repair, so I took it back. There was no visible evidence of squirrel damage. The tech that performed the repair has moved on to a revolving position between a few regional Toyota dealerships and is no longer at my local. The new tech spent 1.5 days diagnosing the car and cannot find any visible damage. The only error he can find is that the charcoal canister is not getting power. The only error code I was able to pull with my home copy of TechStream was C1021 (Generic Engine) and P0453 (Evap System).

Toyota wants me to contact my insurance and wants to proceed with pulling the interior to inspect the harness feeding power to the charcoal canister. My eyes water at the bill if insurance is notified but rodent damage is not found. I told the dealer to button the car back up and we settled on a diagnostic charge of $500, which is still more than I want to spend for no answer.

I have researched the charcoal canister issues. I also have a new fuel cap to try. I will reset the codes and clear the computer from the battery as well. My only concern is that there is no power to the canister. Can anyone provide some input? I feel that rodent damage inside the actual cabin is highly unlikely and don't want to proceed with tearing everything apart only to find nothing and be liable for the costs.
If you have a place to work, taking apart the interior isn't too bad of a job. Just be patient and go slowly. If at all possible, lay things out on a nice open space, in the rough location that it was removed from. I've done full removals and reinstalls on several vehicles, and it isn't that bad of a job. If I were you, that's what I'd do.

7/21 Follow up, problem resolved. I finally had time to get under the truck. I removed the entire sub-harness assembly and completed the R&R with solder, heat shrink, liquid tape and silicone tape for weather proofing. If you have a vehicle marked by rodents, inspect this wiring location periodically.
20200720_134616.jpg
20200720_135423.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom