RTH Needed Pls - Detailed instructions for installing EMSPowered header-back exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read in previous posts that installation instructions were being developed for installing EMSPowered's '95-'97 header-back exhaust system, but I can't find anything on their website nor indication that anyone in the forum received any.

There's pics posted all over the place, but the design has changed over the 2 years of threads with this product's development. I want to make sure I get it right.

My kit came with 3 clamp-type connectors... two (2) TorcTite exhaust clamps, and a third found loose in the big box the system shipped in. It is thinner with a single nut/bolt connection point. The obvious question is, where do the three clamps respectively go?

Also, is there an order to the install that is recommended by EMSPowered to bolt the components on, or that members here have found worked best for them in hindsight based on their experience?

Any gotchas to look out for?

The header gaskets that were drop-shipped from Summit Racing are the copper versions (#4225). Any lessons learned on lining them up properly and getting the necessary seal? Factor this...I'm doing this by myself in the driveway... so figuring out how to line up the downpipe while keeping the gaskets in place and bolted in properly with only 2 hands seems like its going to be a challenge. Any solo efforts in the past that can be shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I have been asked to install one of these exhausts but haven't installed it yet.

Here is what I do with all my 80 exhaust installs.

First I get new manifold gaskets and remove the stock manifolds and replace studs and nuts as needed.

I then install the entire system from the head back tight enough to hold things in place but not so tight to not allow things to move with modest force.

I then go along the system aligning and tightening things based on possible interference issues. The last thing to get tightened down is the manifolds themselves to the head.

Following this procedure I haven't had any issues with leaks or rattles.

Rick,

As always, your sage wisdom is ever helpful. Great overview. Thanks!

header-back kit mocked up

Ok, I've pulled together some photos showing the overall "kit" that I've got to work with, and some shots of results after mocking up connections where the clamps were found to make most sense.

1) The overall kit for the '95-'97 LandCruiser
2) Front section mocked up
3) Back section mocked up
IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg

mockup sections

These are the clamp connections I mocked up that made the most sense when fit together:

1) V-Band clamp connection between downpipe/cat (aft section 1) and the over-frame/2nd O2 sensor pipe (fore section2) [torque amount?]
2) TorcTite clamp at second O2 sensor bung (aft section 2) and muffler inlet (fore section 3) [torque amount?]
3) TorcTite clamp after muffler outlet (aft section 3) and beginning of tailpipe (fore section 4) [torque amount?]
IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg

Instructions posted!

Installation Instructions - LandCruiser/LX450 Exhaust

I can honestly say I don't know if they were there on Sunday when I went looking and I just blew past them, or if they got posted subsequent to my requests... doesn't matter. Given the number of members that are veterans of EMSPowered exhaust system installs that responded (zero), I'm thinking it was the latter.

Any any event...it doesn't matter. The detailed instructions and pictures are just what I was looking for.

Thanks to tech support @ EMSPowered, and to Baktash for his quick follow up emails and phone calls to make sure I got the info. You've got an appreciative customer here in Virginia!

Best Regards,

Hi Sean, glad you were able to get it all worked out. Let us know if you had any other questions.

Last edited:
For any that have successfully installed this kit on a '97, do you have to have to remove the OEM hanger/support bracket for the Y-pipe in order to route the EMS Y-pipe in through the narrow section over the frame from the wheel well? I just cant fish it in there. It keeps hitting that support bracket, the wheel well splash barrier or the support bracket for the brake line. Arggggh!!

I decided to take the Y-pipe support bracket out and got the lower 14mm nut removed, but the upper one is set back in that appears only an offset or box-wrench can get at it. How is it that I missed this in the threads on these installs, or it being not noted in the install instructions?

It's crap like this that extends such projects out hours when the right tools or steps are not povisioned and prepared for! And only exasperated by busy schedules with limited time windows. The lack of a covered work area and present rain conditions only add insult to injury.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom