RTH Needed! - Fresno area sheared sector shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is awesome. That shaft certainly looks like it's been on its way out for a while. That absolutely would have been terrifying at speed.

Please document your "trail fix" because it could help others searching.

I love this crowd.

@malteserunner , are you guys done fixing it yet? Lol

Getting there.
20190714_114845.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::cheers:

Solid work! :cheers:

Kinda confusing, concerning, break? Doesn't look like it has been wheeled hard, splines not twisted, panhard tower never cracked, etc?

@Tools R Us it seems like wheeling for several years, on 37's, finally took its toll. Didn't necessarily have that hard, spline twisting hit, but failed none the less. I think I'll rebuild/upgrade mine as PM, after seeing this.

20190714_133141.jpg

We see a lot of them that get wheeled, often, like more than twice a week. Have a pile of twisted sectors. The broken ones that I have seen have suffered a big hit, like accident, or extended very hard use, evidenced by twisted splines and/or other damage. From what we have seen, this looks unique, possibly a manufacturing defect?

I can't begin to express how grateful I am to everyone on the forum who helped coordinate this repair. @malteserunner @cruiserfj45 @Firerunner all worked together to get a box up to the lake and get my rig steering again. I promise to make things right for you guys.
@malteserunner is one of the most upstanding down to earth guys I've met. He drove 2-3 hrs late Saturday night and gave up his Sunday just to help out. Adam; thank your wife for me. She must be very understanding. Also tell her that you are doing a great job raising your kids. Matthew was a joy to have around. He entertained my whole family with his outgoing, upbeat personality. I hope we can get together again under better circumstances!

IMG_20190714_133414.jpg

This sector shaft break was disturbing.
It sheared right at the point where the shaft necks down just below the gear box. There was no indication of a problem. I check the splines for twists routinely. No rust line was visible.
It doesn't really surprise me the shaft failed because I've wheeled this truck hard over the years. It's the original box and I've been on 37's since about 2004.
Im so happy it happened where and when it did rather than when I had my whole family inside.

Wow. I've been off the forum for a few months, and seeing stories like this reminds me why I miss the LC community. Great job guys!

This is awesome. That shaft certainly looks like it's been on its way out for a while. That absolutely would have been terrifying at speed.

Please document your "trail fix" because it could help others searching.

I love this crowd.
The Trail Fix is just replacing the steering box with a good spare. No magic involved.

Wow - amazing how people pull together. Now that its all over can I hijack this thread and ask if more than one person had an extra standard size sector shaft? (not the 105) Ive got a box at West Texas Offroad at the moment and got the bad news today that mine is bent.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom