RTH Needed! - Fresno area sheared sector shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud
I'm sending out a distress call. My family is camping at Huntington lake 1 1/2 hrs above Fresno. This morning I sheared a sector shaft. Is there anyone in the area who has a spare steering box? Marlin crawler is closed today and dealers in Fresno can't get parts soon. We need to leave our campsite by tomorrow.

I'm in the Upper Billy Creek Campground #27 on the north shore of Huntington Lake. I have a very limited supply of tools: a few sockets, crescent wrenches, screw drivers, etc... I can have the truck towed down somewhere but just need to figure out where. First step is sourcing a box...

My other complicating factor is that I'm towing an offroad trailer on 37" tires...

IMG_20190711_202000.jpg

Love reading stories like this; reminds me why MUD is such an important part of my day !

I love the Cruiser community! My wife and her sister's family are totally impressed that a stranger from an internet forum is willing to come rescue us. @malteserunner I owe you big time! Looking forward to seeing you to tomorrow.

It looks like this thing was hanging on by a thread. I'm so grateful that this didn't happen at speed on the freeway or winding mountain road.

IMG_20190713_174830.jpg

IMG_20190713_174856.jpg

Yeah. That thing is toast. If you have any penetrating oil... Or even a little ATF, you might start soaking the spline>arm connection, so when @malteserunner gets there with my box, you will have a good chance of popping the broken section of sector shaft off and getting the arm on the other box.

If you don't have spare atf, the dip stick to the transmission will get you some - just takes dipping the stick in and out several times.

If you don't have spare atf, the dip stick to the transmission will get you some - just takes dipping the stick in and out several times.

Might take along a ball joint press (C-Press) if someone has one. I predict that end of the shaft will be stubborn.

Might require a little 'heat' as well.

Might take along a ball joint press (C-Press) if someone has one. I predict that end of the shaft will be stubborn.

Might require a little 'heat' as well.

@malteserunner has a ball joint remover. I sent along a couple of sockets that might work as press spacers as needed, using the weight of the vehicle and a jack as a press. He's also taking a torch, a couple bottles of c02, and some air tools.

Wow, just saw this. I was going to mention Jacob @cruiserfj45 & that Jeff has a 80 that he is parting out in Clovis.
I also want to mention that @malteserunner has to travel about 3 hours just to get to Huntington Lake.
What a good man you are Adam.

I wanted to PM you @Shipwreck but it appears that you don't allow it. Will you PM me when you have the time?

Last edited:
You couldn’t have asked for a better group of guys to come to the rescue! Incredible! I hope all goes well tomorrow. You’re in good hands.

Last edited:
The way everyone is stepping up to rescue a fellow 80 owner is amazing. Kind of reminds me of when I was in the service and could rely on my brothers/sisters to be there for me when s*** hit the fan.

@malteserunner has a ball joint remover. I sent along a couple of sockets that might work as press spacers as needed, using the weight of the vehicle and a jack as a press. He's also taking a torch, a couple bottles of c02, and some air tools.

Excellent...!

A shining example of the character and sense of brotherhood you find in MUD members (most).

You don't find that just anywhere.

So proud of all involved.

Flint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom