RTH: exhaust routing picture. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at an exhaust shop getting my exhaust end modified in prep for my 4x4 Labs rear bumper.

There is a thread with a picture of an exhaust where a guy routed his exhaust over the rear frame rail and out behind the tire well. Not the one where it comes out through the bumper though.

I can't seem to find this thread though, any one know which thread this is?

Edit: found it!

Last edited:
Does the exhaust need to be modified for the 4x4 labs rear bumper? I was thinking of putting that rear bumper on my 80.

Does the exhaust need to be modified for the 4x4 labs rear bumper? I was thinking of putting that rear bumper on my 80.

Yes, you will be cutting off the OEM resonator. One thing to remember is that you will also want to add a bracket to the cross-member above the axle so that there is support for the muffler and tail section. Here is a picture of mine after Luke cut it off with the Sawzall.

:cheers:

Steve
cyclosteve-albums-4x4labs-bumper-picture17829-exhaust-tip.jpg

Got my exhaust all squared away in prep for the 4x4 labs.

Have a flowmaster 50 series and then a glasspack. Rather than going over the frame, i had it dumped right before the frame. The sound at idle and cruising speed is almost quieter than stock, when accelerating a little bit more throaty sound, but not annoying or droning. Just what i wanted! I will post pics of the exhaust in my build thread when i get the bumper in.

Got my exhaust all squared away in prep for the 4x4 labs.

Have a flowmaster 50 series and then a glasspack. Rather than going over the frame, i had it dumped right before the frame. The sound at idle and cruising speed is almost quieter than stock, when accelerating a little bit more throaty sound, but not annoying or droning. Just what i wanted! I will post pics of the exhaust in my build thread when i get the bumper in.

interesting results. Did you end the pipe befor going over the rear crossmember or did you cut and dump it by the rear corner where the stock resonator was? I got a flowmaster50 and glaspack resonator and it drones rather annoyingly on the hwy at cruising speeds. Accelleration note is fine, its the cruising that gets me. I went over the frame rail after cat and over the frame rail at the rear axle and out the stock location. Makes me wonder if the drone is from the 3' of pipe behind the muffler. Ive heard this lenght can affect "trumpeting" of the exhaust.

After looking through their catalog, i think there are different 50 series mufflers. I think i have the longest and it is their SUV series if that makes any difference.

Once the pipe comes over the rear axle/crossmember and right as it start to turn towards the tire is where the resonator is. The resonator tip is almost at the frame rail and then a piece of mandrel bent pipe turns it 90* and down at a slight angle. The tip is a few inches lower than the frame rail and on the inside of the frame rails (not over the top and then down)

interesting results. Did you end the pipe befor going over the rear crossmember or did you cut and dump it by the rear corner where the stock resonator was? I got a flowmaster50 and glaspack resonator and it drones rather annoyingly on the hwy at cruising speeds. Accelleration note is fine, its the cruising that gets me. I went over the frame rail after cat and over the frame rail at the rear axle and out the stock location. Makes me wonder if the drone is from the 3' of pipe behind the muffler. Ive heard this lenght can affect "trumpeting" of the exhaust.

I had really bad droning on mine once I had the exhaust re-done. I have 3" from the Y pipe all the way to the back. I have 2 spun hi flow heavy metal catalytic converters that are 3" and a flowmaster 3" too (I think will have to look under there) and then an additional dynomax 'race' muffler behind that. I have 4x4 Labs bumper as well. I first had 3" pipe without the 2nd muffler and it was really bad droning, drove me nuts. Once the secondary muffler was installed, it was much much better. It may still drone a little, but I can live with it now.
If pictures are needed, can take this weekend.

Jon

Just opted to prepay the 4x4 labs rear swing out bumper ! Met Luke at their shop in Grass valley , today as well as HD... Someone on the tlca page on FB said something about the resonator and I searched here for answers !

So do I have to cut the resonator off , or can I just have some pipe bent accommodate the labs bumper ? Or this there a reason it has to be cut off ?

Then also if it has to be cut off do I need to but a small glass pack, etc on it to compensate and or will it be too loud with out the resonator?

I really like the quiet tractor/ sewing machine of the stock exhaust and don't want to have to change the sound !

Your thoughts are appreciated ! Thanks

Just opted to prepay the 4x4 labs rear swing out bumper ! Met Luke at their shop in Grass valley , today as well as HD... Someone on the tlca page on FB said something about the resonator and I searched here for answers !

So do I have to cut the resonator off , or can I just have some pipe bent accommodate the labs bumper ? Or this there a reason it has to be cut off ?

Then also if it has to be cut off do I need to but a small glass pack, etc on it to compensate and or will it be too loud with out the resonator?

I really like the quiet tractor/ sewing machine of the stock exhaust and don't want to have to change the sound !

Your thoughts are appreciated ! Thanks
IME it wasnt much louder by any means. In fact some what more quiet since I had "crunched" my resonator on a rock and had "turbo" type squeal coming from it.

I wanna say I ended up with a high pitched chirp (similar to a turbo) under hard acceleration. Of course it could be something else but it only happened after I chopped the resonator off. In reality it barely noticeable.
Don't forget to add a bracket to support the rear of the exhaust as that is also part of the resonator assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom