RTH - Climate Control Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. It is behind the opening slits you pictured. Just had it apart last weekend.

And by the way when you pull it, give it a good clean (I used electronics cleaner) - amazing how dirty it can get

Hi all. Thanks for the replies and thanks @grinchy for the dash breakdown. Since it was a little more involved than just pulling out the ashtray panel, I decided to wait until we were at our home base in Shelton. We are about 30 minutes away and I’ll be able to pull everything off while enjoying a cold adult beverage.

I’ll take a few pics for posterity and any future googlers of this issue.

Alrighty folks. It was indeed the temp sensor. And this is why it’s a good idea to write down the count of plugs that you untether when pulling things apart to ensure that you have the same count when reassembling 😉

Also, it’s another example of why it’s just good, common sense to carry even a modest, but well stocked tool kit. If you have a 200, a stringer of metric sockets is an absolute necessity

1BB9E3CB-B39B-4C9A-ACDA-CC1EC6EBC47F.jpeg

I’m no expert, but this might be the problem 😂

1823E797-2829-403C-AE73-DBA142E8E852.jpeg

C59D14DA-DEAC-4068-8322-874B2A3DD01A.jpeg

BFEB873D-9B84-4743-A543-3E8E67A09E0D.jpeg

And that is how you spend 15 minutes or less to save yourself $300 an hour labor rates at your local dealer. Well, that and a small army of anonymous internet friends to help you troubleshoot while driving I-5.

And @nwfl4runner - that is a great call, but luckily I did that earlier in the week when I did the tow pro install. Man that thing was gunked up.

You guys are great. As always, I hope to repay the favor one day.

Nicely done, great job trouble shooting it on the road. Mission accomplished!

Im having this same problem but for the life of me I can't understand that dash breakdown. Where exactly is the sensor located in the vehicle? I just don't understand the wording in that breakdown without an illustration to go along with it.

Im having this same problem but for the life of me I can't understand that dash breakdown. Where exactly is the sensor located in the vehicle? I just don't understand the wording in that breakdown without an illustration to go along with it.

It is to the right of the steering wheel right about where your knee points to. It is below the pod of 4 switches.

And removing the panel is pretty easy. running along the bottom there are two Phillips head screws and two push tabs. Remove those and the bottom panel drops down. Then there are two bolts With 10mm heads. One is obvious but one is hidden behind a little decorative door. Remove those and then You can pull it out gently, starting with around the steering wheel and work your way down. It sounds hard but is really easy.

The first post of this thread explains taking the panels off and has some pics

Thread 'Trailer Brake Controller Connector'
Trailer Brake Controller Connector - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trailer-brake-controller-connector.361992/

It is to the right of the steering wheel right about where your knee points to. It is below the pod of 4 switches.

And removing the panel is pretty easy. running along the bottom there are two Phillips head screws and two push tabs. Remove those and the bottom panel drops down. Then there are two bolts With 10mm heads. One is obvious but one is hidden behind a little decorative door. Remove those and then You can pull it out gently, starting with around the steering wheel and work your way down. It sounds hard but is really easy.

The first post of this thread explains taking the panels off and has some pics

Thread 'Trailer Brake Controller Connector'
Trailer Brake Controller Connector - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trailer-brake-controller-connector.361992/
Awesome thank you! just checked and cleaned the sensor but I think my problem goes deeper since nothing has worked including this. Really don't want to bring this to Toyota and suffer the financial hit but might be the only option. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom