RTH - Climate Control Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1world1love

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok mud mind hive. We left on a road trip this morning and at some point I turned on the climate control by hitting auto like I normally do. It was set at 68, but only super hot air came out. No matter what setting o use, it will only blow super hot unless the temp setting is on Lo. Even nudging it up one to 65 degrees causes the air to go from regular to super hot.

Ac works fine and it gets cold on Lo. Same on all vents and same whether 4 zone or not. As soon as you change the temp from lo it pumps out hot air.

it was fine yesterday, but I did install that red arc controller in the ashtray compartment earlier in the week. I didn’t mess with anything that high though.

Yesterday evening I did a thorough interior detailing, but that is it.

Any thoughts?

Something to do with the temperature measurement items in the front? No feedback or feedback is always <cold> so it is trying to heat at all setpoints

Something to do with the temperature measurement items in the front? No feedback or feedback is always <cold> so it is trying to heat at all setpoints

yeah, but at all locations, if it is Lo it is fine but everything else is max heat. So in the rear if one side is lo it is fine and if the other is 65 it is like a furnace.

So yeah, it seems like anything but lo is interpreted as max.

Heres the troubleshooting chart for your symptom -
The room temperature sensor is directly above the ashtray . . .

Temperature Control: No temperature control (only max cool or max hot)​
Room temperature sensor circuit​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1411/11; Room Temperature Sensor Circuit
Rear room temperature sensor LH circuit​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1419/19; Rear Room Temperature Sensor Circuit
Rear room temperature sensor RH circuit​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1468/68; Rear Passenger Side Room Temperature Sensor Circuit
Ambient temperature sensor circuit​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1412/12; Ambient Temperature Sensor Circuit
Cool air bypass damper servo motor​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1445/45; Passenger Side Cool Air Bypass Damper Control
Front air mix damper servo motor (for driver side)​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1446/46; Air Mix Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit (Driver Side)
Front air mix damper servo motor (for driver side rear air flow)​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1457/57; Driver Side Air Outlet Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit
Front air mix damper servo motor (for front passenger side)​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1441/41; Air Mix Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit (Passenger Side)
Front air mix damper servo motor (for front passenger side rear air flow)​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1458/58; Passenger Side Air Outlet Damper Control Servo Motor Circuit
Multi-media module receiver assembly​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; AUDIO / VIDEO: RADIO RECEIVER: REMOVAL
Air conditioning harness assembly​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM: B1497/97; BUS IC Communication Malfunction
Air conditioning amplifier assembly​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING: AIR CONDITIONING AMPLIFIER: REMOVAL
CAN communication system​
2013 MY LX570 [01/2012 -        ]; NETWORKING: CAN COMMUNICATION SYSTEM: HOW TO PROCEED WITH TROUBLESHOOTING

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 2.45.52 PM.png

do you have a code reader or techstream with you? there are silent DTCs on the climate system that help us figure out which issue it is

Check if the temp sensor at the drivers side lower dash is plugged in fully. It may have not been seated fully after the brake controller install and came undone.

Thanks guys. We will be at our hotel around dark so I may not be able to troubleshoot tonight. Unfortunately I don’t have a tech steam but I’ll pick one up if necessary.

it sounds like I just need to pull off the trim and ashtray and check all the connections first though. I’ll report back once I get a chance to do that.

Thanks as always. This is exactly what I needed.

I had a similar issue with the rear heat. If i turned it on, only super hot air would come out of the rear zone despite temp setting. Unless I turned it all the way to lo and it would blow cold air. It ended up being a rear temperature sensor. You may have disconnected your front one.

There was a recent thread where someone else had same issue. He hasn’t responded since the same suggestions were made there as here. I also agree with idea of faulty/unplugged sensor. I think low/hi functions as a manual mode to a extent, but all the number settings cause the auto climate to try to get to that temp as quickly as possible, and a faulty ambient temp sensor probably reports as whatever the min temp of that sensors range can be..

That is what it must be. I was able to fully test the front and back and the back is actually working correctly. I think the kids were feeling hot air from the front.

Since I did the trailer controller it makes sense. I’ll pull everything out in the morning. Now I need to google what the sensor connection looks like 😂

Really appreciate everyone responding. I’m gonna end up owing you guys a keg 😂
Don't owe anything.. just post your solution so it adds to the knowledge base.

Is the temp sensor the one on the right hand side below the steering wheel with the electrical plug right by a white corrugated tube?

Is the temp sensor the one on the right hand side below the steering wheel with the electrical plug right by a white corrugated tube?
Yes. The corrugated tube is Toyota’s simple solution to draw air over the sensor without the complexity of a small motor and fan.. the tube has a Venturi from one of the AC vents to pull a slight vacuum and make sure plenty of air is passing over the sensor.

To add to this, has anyone replaced their temp sensors yet and noticed a better response from your climate control?
As an example on my recent trip until I put the temp up to 76 I wasn't really getting warm air out the vents when it was in the 50s outside, while in my daily I can use 68 in the 50s to get warm air. I'm assuming this has to do with the sensors

Yes. The corrugated tube is Toyota’s simple solution to draw air over the sensor without the complexity of a small motor and fan.. the tube has a Venturi from one of the AC vents to pull a slight vacuum and make sure plenty of air is passing over the sensor.
So where is the plug I need to check? Is it here
image.jpg

or is it behind the ashtray?

Since you're traveling I just excerpted the entire dash removal; it should have all the necessary sub sections.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 9.34.40 AM.png

Attachments

• TIS - Lexus 2013 LX570 Repair Manual (RM19F0U).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom