RTH - Can I drive my truck a short distance without the drive flanges installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm switching from the front to the rear brakes, and I'd like to leave my drive flanges off while I move the truck around. I'm not driving across town, literally just moving the from nose to in, to tail in, in my garage.

Am I good to go? I have a feeling I need to flanges installed to provide drive to the hubs and it's a no go. Or maybe I'll just be in rear wheel drive, and there's no harm in moving it.

(The reason the drive flanges are off is that I want to paint them.)

Thanks
Russ

I'm switching from the front to the rear brakes, and I'd like to leave my drive flanges off while I move the truck around. I'm not driving across town, literally just moving the from nose to in, to tail in, in my garage.

Am I good to go? I have a feeling I need to flanges installed to provide drive to the hubs and it's a no go. Or maybe I'll just be in rear wheel drive, and there's no harm in moving it.

(The reason the drive flanges are off is that I want to paint them.)

Thanks
Russ
Start the truck.
Place it in Low Range until the CDL light comes on.
Shut off truck
Pull CDL fuse.
Start truck move it around accordingly.
When done, install fuse, place back into high range, start truck and it will de-energize and you will be back to "normal".

If you try to move and your CDL is not locked, you will heat your viscous coupler a lot and shorten its life.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've done the Pin-7 (7-Pin?) mod. That makes me think I can just press the CDL and once it's locked repark it? No need to pull the fuse? Does that sound right?
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've done the Pin-7 (7-Pin?) mod. That makes me think I can just press the CDL and once it's locked repark it? No need to pull the fuse? Does that sound right?
Thanks.
Yup.

Thanks so much, guys. I appreciate it.

If you didn't have the switch, you could simply put it in low range and move it, no need to mess with fuses. You're not going to exceed 40MPH in your driveway, I hope.

If you didn't have the switch, you could simply put it in low range and move it, no need to mess with fuses. You're not going to exceed 40MPH in your driveway, I hope.
I should probably clarify that this should not be done for any kind of distance with the front driveshaft installed. The birf axle stub outer ends are normally supported by the drive flanges, and they'll be flopping a bit and spinning against the inside of the spindle if the driveshaft is still in place.

Takes 10 min per side to re-install.

Are you driving to buy paint?

I may be wrong, but just lock the center diff and you should be GTG. ?????? I've driven with the front driveshaft out, but never the flanges removed.

Without drive flanges would be exactly like a factory part-time 80 (like mine). You do know that an 80 series does *not* require constant 4wd as a daily driver. ;) The only real risk moving it with the flanges off is that it's exposing everything to dust but in one's own garage/workshop/carport that's literally a few minutes or less and no 'speed' driving on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom