RTH: Anti-Inversion shackle with Saginaw box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

Trying to get this OME lift buttoned up for fall crawl (I leave Friday morning) and hit a snag.

OME mandates anti-inversion shackles for use with their springs. I have a Saginaw steering box that is VERY tight to the shackle. Previously, I’d clearanced the shackle and bolt when running stock springs. Shown below:

324C20AD-A505-4C14-AB94-1B8C1DFC4ABD.jpeg

Now, if this shackle ever TRIED to invert it would have eventually contacted the mounting plate for the power steering box which is 1/4” plate. But the shackle would need to move about 1.5” backward prior to contact so I never worried much about it.

9248CCBA-7A1E-43F3-8A14-294D591DD2D4.jpeg

Now with the anti-inversion shackle - the point of the triangle sits VERY close...about 1/4.”

Realistically the shackle can barely get vertical before it makes contact.

65259CA9-408C-42C8-8AC4-E86FCFF16D6D.jpeg

To the point that this is how much it can “invert” at all.

599F149A-6F72-4B1E-9D0B-42FFFACC0C30.jpeg

In short -the shackle can barely even go vertical, let alone invert. I expect they won’t even go vertical once I put in a bushing and it gets nudged even higher. This leaves me wondering:

1. How concerned do I have to be about the shackle PLATE instead of the anti-inversion cross-bolt, stopping the inversion - particularly against the 1/4” thick power steering mount.

2. If the above is OK - does it just make sense to run the old shackle to allow some rearward travel.

3. Any issue running the anti-inversion shackle upside down? I’m guessing this would put the cross bolt too far away to stop an inversion, but, as above, the shackle plate would be making contact with the steering box mount first anyway...

Any thoughts on how best to proceed here?

If the old shackle wont let it invert, run that. . Id consider making or adapting something for the other shackle plate to hit. So your not just relying the p/s braket for a stop.

If the old shackle is the same size juste use it or cut the new one to remove the anti inversion part
If the old shackle wont let it invert, run that. . Id consider making or adapting something for the other shackle plate to hit. So your not just relying the p/s braket for a stop.

I’m not too worried about the power steering plate - it’s thick steel - and welded to the frame. There’s only about 1.5” hanging below it. With the box mounted to it as well acting as a sort of cross brace I don’t think the shackle will “win” that battle. I’m more worried about the one shackle plate carrying the full impact and potentially bending under the load. The shackles I run are about 1/4” as well though.

I like the idea of potentially welding a stop on the other side to at least spread the load out.

Last edited:
The suspension is unloaded when the invention is possible , not much force on the shackles compare to compression

I was thinking more about immediately after the shackle inverts and you drop the whole weight of the truck on it.

I had the same issue on my 45. I ended up using this style of shackle instead of the preferred triangle style.

95E01498-91E3-40F2-B41C-C08604435670.jpeg

I had the same issue on my 45. I ended up using this style of shackle instead of the preferred triangle style.

View attachment 2470240

yeah in hindsight that would have been a good call. Is the stop only on one side? If so then I guess maybe I’m worrying too much about one plate taking the impact.

In essence the power steering plate will serve as an anti-inversion stop. Might add something off the frame on the other side to even the impact - but it seems like I should just run the bar shackle I had on there previously.

On the other side I could run the anti inversion shackle if it’s the same length - might look a little odd with one bar shackle and one anti inversion but it would likely get the job done.

You are correct, the other side does not have the dogleg. Have you tried turning the triangle upside down? I ran mine that way until I got these.

B58552BC-2126-4B8E-9F7E-7FD0F6B3C11C.jpeg
EE6E5C94-65B4-47A0-B110-BD879ACBEB1B.jpeg

You are correct, the other side does not have the dogleg. Have you tried turning the triangle upside down? I ran mine that way until I got these.

View attachment 2470403View attachment 2470404

Turning it upside down was one of the options proposed above. Could certainly do that but since I already have one shackle “modified” to fit the power steering box I’ll probably just run the bar shackle on one side, use the steering box mount as the anti-inversion bump stop and see how far that gets me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom