RTH - Alternator connector stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent 30 minutes trying to get the black 3-wire alternator connector off my LX alternator. I have tried every imaginable combination of vise grip, needlenose, etc. I sprayed it with WD40 in case it was slightly corroded or packed with silt. Yes, I know it has a tab that must be pressed to release the clip. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IMG_0466.JPG

Maybe try a screwdriver closer to the housing to press the tab down. Sometimes they get too weak and are not able to release. Once it is pressed give it some good wiggles.

Steve, mine did this too. If you remove the 8mm/10mm nuts holding the dust cover on the back of the alternator you can slide the cover up the wire and out of the way. The can get under the harness. That's what I had to do so as to not break the harness. But looking at yours, that dust cover might not clearance like mine did?

I did end up needing a new harness wiring clip as the tab broke anyway, but was able to reuse the factor pins and it was no problem at all.

Wrapup:

Getting back to this stuck clip, I carefully pressed the clip a few more times with a vise grip pliers and of course, it snapped off. The connector then slid off easily. I have no idea why the connector was reluctant to come off the first 150 times I tried. I even bought a 100 series harness section at a junkyard so that I could study the connector and have a spare.

Anyway - I installed the new alternator and all is well. I just plugged the broken-clip harness plug into the back of the new alternator and it fits tightly with friction, so that's how it's going to be. I could find no way to add a zip tie to firm up the connection, but I considered it. If it falls off, I will solder on the unbroken junkyard harness end and clip it on properly.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and sympathy!

If you have a little pick tool you can swap the pins from your existing plug into the junkyard plug without too much issues.

Just buy a spare toyota connector. 90980-11349. I've had to replace so many I remember the part number.

I replace wire housing blocks very very often these days. lucky it is so easy. I just had one starter/SAI mod, where 7 wire housing blocks busted.

No need for a pick to unlock wires from old wire housing block, unless you're reusing housing.

First I get the new wire housing blocks (P/N # are on them). I then just bust old wire housing block apart. I use a very stout very small curved needle nose. I pull the white locking retainer out from the end, than breakaway small pieces at a time of the brittle plastic. Getting one wire/connector out of old block at a time. Then place that connector into corresponding/proper slot of new wire housing block. Once all wire/connectors in new housing block. I press in the lock/white retainer. Done!

Note: Take picture of old while wires/connectors still in, just in case you need for position of wires later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom