RTH 2004 Sequoia Serpentine Belt Shredded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys,

I'm active over on the 80 Series Land Cruiser side but I need some help.

My brother is stranded on the side of the road outside Chicago. He's driving my old 2004 Sequoia. He lost all power and coasted to the side of the interstate.

At first discussion I figured it must be an alternator. I had him pop the hood and check the belts. He says the belt is gone.

First: How bad is this? I know very little about newer motors.

Second: How difficult is it to replace? Is it possible to do on the side of the road?

Third: He's about a 1/2 :banana: mechanic.

Fourth: He doesn't exactly have the funds to pay a mechanic to fix it?

Fifth: Am I hopping in my 80 and driving to Chicago to help him?

Thanks for your help!

Soooo much easier to replace than the 80. There is a tensioner arm on the left side of the routing that you slip a socket on. As long as the belt shredded due to age and not induced by another issue, it fits the 1/2 :banana: requirement

Thanks. I tried walking him through it but they couldn't get it. He got the tensioner pulley loose. Got the shredded belt off. Got the other belt fed through the shroud and almost on but couldn't get it over the last pulley. Sucks. They are in Portage, IN on the way home to Michigan. He was just in Iowa (where I live) last weekend. We could've knocked it out in 30 minutes.

He had it towed to a shop and will pick it up Monday or Tuesday.

I should've just hopped in my 80 like I planned. I thought he and his buddy could get it.

This is the picture I sent my brother last night. My hoses and belts are less than 6 months old and less than 8k miles. I still carry spares. And tools!

IMG_6375.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom