RT help needed on heater T install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even more caution needs to be exercised when make a vertical cut, not score the pipe. If one scores the pipe, it will likely weep.

I suggest alcohol be saved until after the job, to celebrate.;):beer:

^^^^^ Not at MY age. No guarantee I'll even get to finish the job. ;)

Start with needle nose pliers and bend it back out relatively straight. Then take a tapered punch and GENTLY tap it down into pipe, then with the punch still in place, use a pair of channel locks (or large pliers) to squeeze the outside of the pipe back against the punch. This will result in a fairly round pipe shape again.

I had to do this ^^^^^^^ on my Heater Core tube when my Brother took a pair of pliers to remove the heater hose and deformed the tubing at least as bad as you have pictured.

I used some Permatex sealant that I had on hand and coated the outside of the tube before reinstalling the hose.

Hasn't leaked a drop.
Thanks all for your suggestions - this ended up being the route I took. I let the permatex cure for 24 hours and drove it around a bit today - no leaks so far!

Thanks all for your suggestions - this ended up being the route I took. I let the permatex cure for 24 hours and drove it around a bit today - no leaks so far!
Glad this worked out. I had no idea you could just replace the pipe as @2001LC pointed out. Maybe in the near future you could do this as to alleviate any concerns of future leaks? Good job on the repair though. Having this forum available makes doing DIY maintenance a little more comfortable, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom