RSAS (Rear Seat Audio System) Removal killed my CD Changer - help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all - hoping for a little help with a minor but annoying issue I noticed. I recently replaced my RSAS system with a 3D printed panel from @BenCC to add a bunch of USB ports to my rear seat area. We all have phones, and the kids use tablets on long drives, so extra power outlets is a huge help.

Anyway, of course I yanked the RSAS out and tossed it. It took a few weeks before I realized my CD player no longer connected to my head unit. Damnit.

So, I'm hopeful there's just some 'present' wire that tells the head unit there's a CD player attached that I can loop in the older connector or something. The Grom audio 3.5mm adapter that's tied into the CD player system still works fine, and is why I didn't notice the CD player didn't work anymore immediately. Apparently RSAS is a fairly rare feature because I haven't been able to come up with much in the way of wiring diagrams or forum posts about how to successfully remove it, apart from one thread where the person ended up plugging it back in and tucking it away somewhere inside the center console!

So, anyone got any idea how I can get the headunit to see my cd changer again?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hello all - hoping for a little help with a minor but annoying issue I noticed. I recently replaced my RSAS system with a 3D printed panel from @BenCC to add a bunch of USB ports to my rear seat area. We all have phones, and the kids use tablets on long drives, so extra power outlets is a huge help.

Anyway, of course I yanked the RSAS out and tossed it. It took a few weeks before I realized my CD player no longer connected to my head unit. Damnit.

So, I'm hopeful there's just some 'present' wire that tells the head unit there's a CD player attached that I can loop in the older connector or something. The Grom audio 3.5mm adapter that's tied into the CD player system still works fine, and is why I didn't notice the CD player didn't work anymore immediately. Apparently RSAS is a fairly rare feature because I haven't been able to come up with much in the way of wiring diagrams or forum posts about how to successfully remove it, apart from one thread where the person ended up plugging it back in and tucking it away somewhere inside the center console!

So, anyone got any idea how I can get the headunit to see my cd changer again?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I think somebody left the second row control panel connected and pushed it under the passenger seat or to the side somewhere it would fit to keep the CD changer working.

I think somebody left the second row control panel connected and pushed it under the passenger seat or to the side somewhere it would fit to keep the CD changer working.

Yeah I remember reading something along those lines, but I tossed the stupid thing a couple weeks before I realized the CD changer no longer worked :doh:

Check to see if you left your audio CAN unplugged. It is a light blue square connector with coax cable. Bottom right behind the cupholders.

I'll double-check; I don't recall unplugging anything other than the RSAS thing. The CD changer still has power and stuff, just the headunit doesn't register its existence.

Alright guys - I took it all back apart today, including the center console trim. I think I found the blue connector that you were referring to before, but it's disconnected at both ends with no other matching connectors in sight.

I dug through the FSM and found that the CAN stuff referenced above is actually called the AVC-LAN. If you don't have an RSAS, then the audio system is a single LAN, but if you have RSAS, the RSAS unit acts as a sub-lan router (of course :rolleyes:), with the DVD changer on the sub-lan rather than the main lan. There's also some addressing information there, but it's not important, fortunately!

I tried looping some random similarly colored wires without much success, but then found the wiring diagrams in the FSM and found the right wires to loop:

RSAS Bypass Wiring.PNG

The thing labelled 'gone' is the RSAS panel, which means the TX+ and - aren't connected through to the DVD player. All I did was cut the four circled wires above off the connector and connected the L's (which is BLUE) together and the P's (which is PINK) together. I don't know why they labelled blue as L but it's in the abbreviations section. They're all together on one side of the connector.

Wiring Picture.jpg

Join them together using your favored method (or whatever's available - I twisted them together then used one side of a butt-connector to insulate them and make them stay put), tuck them to the side, and you're good to go. I verified my cd changer now connects and plays again, so I can listen to my bootleg copy of Powderfinger - Across the Great Divide concert again!

If you keep the RSAS module then nothing needs to be changed, but if you want to remove it, you'll need to do this little mod to get your DVD player back. I know most people don't use many CDs anymore, but I have a few I like to listen to on occasion, mostly music I can't find on spotify. yay!

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully that one other guy out there with the same problem stumbles across this post one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom