RS3000 Key Fob Reprogramming (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the reprogramming instructions, but I'm not positive how to reset the ECU. It says to depress the button on the side of the ECU. I see a small green knob, but it don't seem to depress. It's got a pin hole in the middle of it. I'm now thinking you have to stick a pin or something inside that little hole to reset it. Any confirmation from those that have done it?

Thanks.
Rookie2

Just did this on two new fobs.

Get a technically sophisticated tool - paper clip; stick it into the hole and hold for two seconds or until the security system light on the dash comes on. While that dash light is on, depress the button on the fob. The system should honk and flash the lights once once as confirmation of the fob programming being accepted.

10 second job.

Sounds like you found the ECU under the driver seat. The way my '94 was oriented, the programming button was on the left side of the ECU, right next to the incoming cable harness.

Hope that helps.

If you're simply trying to reprogram or "add" a FOB:

Put the key in the ignition and turn to "on" position. Press and hold the recessed green button (on the ECU) until the red LED on the dash lights up. Quickly press and release the top button on your FOB and then turn the key in the ignition to "off". Your FOB should now be programmed.

Note: After the LED light on the status monitor lights up...you have only 5 seconds to push the button on the FOB and turn the key off. You can use a paper clip or something similar to depress the green button on the ECU, and it helps to run the seat all the way forward to access it.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Good catch flintknapper - key should be in 'ON' position before any of the above.

Your system can handle up to 4 codes, then the oldest one will 'roll off'.

If you want to wipe out all the codes, depress the programming switch once and then again within 5 seconds. Horn/lights will go off twice for this. Wouldn't recommend doing this tho, unless you know you can reprogram your new fob again.

Thanks guys. Sounds like that's got me covered. I'll set aside 20 seconds for this job just to be on the safe side :D

Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the "self destruct" button hole.

I have the same issue, I am trying to program my new remote. When I press in the green button, the LED Security light does not light up, in fact I have never seen it lit at all. How do I even know the Security system is even on or functioning? The electronic door locks do work with the key and the inside door buttons, so do I assume the system works? I have no original key fob or original key. All I have is a valet key. How do i know it just isn't in valet mode? HELP!!!!

I had the same problem when I purchasedd my 97. The PO installed some crap ass security system on top of the dealer installed rs 3000.
I spent a day tracing and yanking out what was no supposed to be there. Then patched up the poor splice job. No pics. Did this before I joined h8mud.
If this is not the case for you then it is really a 20 second job.
I didn't have dealer fobs so I found a cat on the Internets who sells re-manuf fobs. Be sure you get the correct color. There are grey and black, but are not cross compatiable.
Programmed mine in no time and haven't had a prob since.

Fazz10, did you find the rs3000 manual online or do you have the security manual with your rig? If not, start with that. Get some keys. I'll try to dig up the web page/ of the guy selling the re man fobs. They weren't cheap, but nice to have dealer gizmos. W/ the rs 3000 the fobs you want are black not grey.
I haven't noticed the security led light up on mine. But theb alarm works because I have set it off a few times. The control module should be under your DS seat (reset button location) ,but the sensitivity knob is on a different module. Mine was zip tied to a bracket behind the lower A pillar cover. It was nestled in with the relays. The manual says to tap the glass with a key, with the alarm on to adjust the sensitivity.
Get your hands on the RS3000 manual. That is all I used. Like I said. I wasn't a member when I did this so I haven't searched the topic. You should do that too.

I got this... RS3000 Toyota Vehicle Intrusion Protection

and it said this "The RS3000 ECU can be programmed to be operated by as many as 4 remote controls. Additionally, the provided remote controls top and bottom buttons may be assigned to operate another 1998 or 1999 model vehicles RS3000 security system, and both buttons can be programmed to operate the system in one vehicle. To add or delete a remote control, you must access the RS3000 ECU (computer), location varies by vehicle and model.

To program (add) a remote control to the system:

1: Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to on.

2: Press and hold the ECU's programming switch for 3 seconds. The status monitors LED turns on for 5 seconds.
***You must perform the next step within 5 seconds***
3: Press and release a remote controls top or bottom button. Either button on your remote control can be programmed to operate the RS3000. The status monitors LED turns off. The piezo chirper chirps once. The exterior lights flash once.

4: Turn off the ignition. The ECU will now operate with the remote control just programmed.

Note: The factory preset operation is for the top button on both remote controls to operate your system; the bottom button is not programmed. To prevent accidental erasure of a remote controls code, we recommend that you program all your remote controls at the same time."

BUT, mine is still not working. tried everything but the right thing I guess. I don't have an additional system in there either.

I ended up getting an OEM fob on ebay that was being held together by a piece of tape. I'm kind of pissed about the tape issue but at least it works and it fixed the alarm problem I was having.

I found the ECU under the driver seat by sliding the seat has far forward as it would go. The green button was facing out away toward the rear seat passenger. I accessed the green button by opening the rear driver side door and used a broken plastic fork tooth (no paperclips). Everything works fine now and my alarm doesn't go off every time I open the door.

Should have bought that 16 dollar fob off of ebay.

I followed the steps to add a remote and nothing worked. Turned ignition to on position, hit green button for 3 secs, hit button remote & got no chirp. Light on dash goes solid when I hit green button for 3 seconds then starts blinking for 5 secs I guess. Is there something I am missing? I followed the instructions in the manual and everything seems to be in working order electrically speaking. Any help would be great.

UPS truck still on my block from delivery from C-Dan and I am done adding a new FOB! IH8MUD kicks ass better than the OU Sooners! It is a one :banana: job.
Tools needed: pocket knife to open UPS package, pad for your knees while looking under drivers seat for lil green button, your new FOB and your car key. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Just picked up a new transmitter and it took all of 10 seconds to program it. Just sayin thanks to forum guys, again.;)

I got this... RS3000 Toyota Vehicle Intrusion Protection

and it said this "The RS3000 ECU can be programmed to be operated by as many as 4 remote controls. Additionally, the provided remote controls top and bottom buttons may be assigned to operate another 1998 or 1999 model vehicles RS3000 security system, and both buttons can be programmed to operate the system in one vehicle. To add or delete a remote control, you must access the RS3000 ECU (computer), location varies by vehicle and model.

To program (add) a remote control to the system:

1: Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to on.

2: Press and hold the ECU's programming switch for 3 seconds. The status monitors LED turns on for 5 seconds.
***You must perform the next step within 5 seconds***
3: Press and release a remote controls top or bottom button. Either button on your remote control can be programmed to operate the RS3000. The status monitors LED turns off. The piezo chirper chirps once. The exterior lights flash once.

4: Turn off the ignition. The ECU will now operate with the remote control just programmed.

Note: The factory preset operation is for the top button on both remote controls to operate your system; the bottom button is not programmed. To prevent accidental erasure of a remote controls code, we recommend that you program all your remote controls at the same time."

BUT, mine is still not working. tried everything but the right thing I guess. I don't have an additional system in there either.

Does anyone have a picture of the RS3000 and the location for a 94 Landcruiser? Under my driver seat is just carpet with one cable coming out going up to the seat. Only a small slit in the carpet so can't see what's under the carpet but doesn't feel like anything other than the cable run. 20 second proceedure, but ?? to get to the RS3000. If it's behind the kick panel, is there a easy way to get that off without breaking the plastic tabs holding it in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom