rpms too high on fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
to me the rpms are too high at 1,000 to 1,100 rpms and when the a/c is on it sits at around 850. checked the throttle cable and from the tranny and it seems to be wihtin specs. have you guys had this problem? and since the rpms are too high when shifting in reverse from a park position it slams into gear. any suggestions? tranny does slip a bit when its cold; did a filter and fluid replacement, got a bit better. thanks in advance!!

sounds like your timing might be off.

YOur sht is all bassackwards. It should idle around 800 without the a/c on, 1100 or so with...your a/c idle step up obviously is not working. Set your idle w/the cable to 800...hit the a/c , if it doesn't increase idle, there's your problem. Somebody probably set it up to keep the a/c from idling it down too much.

I know other FJ62 owners have experienced high revs at idle including myself. Before I got around to doing any investigation into the high revs it fixed itself. Of course that means it will eventually unfix itself too. Now it idles at about 650 - 700 rpm. I think if you search you will find some good suggestions.

Tomy, I think we have identical cruisers! my 62 also has about that high of an idle, and it klunks hard when put in reverse, and a little when put in Drive. I think someone said this is a worn input shaft? The high idle, though, i don't know. my mechanic got my timing perfect and got the rpm's down, but when he did this it made the cruiser REAL sluggish, w/ no power. He had to set the idle back up for it to act normal. So I'm probably more lost than you, but it's good to know we're not alone

200 POSTS WOO WOO!!! Regular baby :flipoff2:

Idle speed is controllable at the cable on the side of the throttle body...loosen jam nut, turn it down a turn or so, tighten, check idle, repeat. Nothing makes any more immediate power gain on a 62 than advancing the timing. Advance to the highest idle, test drive, if it pings under load, turn it back till it doesn't, tighten dist, adjust idle, "power" on, relatively, sort of!

You really out to check your throttle position sensor. They tend to gum up and the return spring can't push it back to the idle positon. They can be cleaned but don't use carb cleaner. Or it might have just gone bad electrically,like mine did. Personally, I wouldn't start adjusting cables and screws, etc. until I was sure all of my related compnents were functioning within spec.

Bill

The high idle condition can also be caused by either a gunked up idle air control valve that does not close enough or a coolant temp sensor that is going bad.

In the case of the IAC valve you will need to emove the throttle body and clean it. It will be all carbon covered and nasty from the egr system.

If it is the coolant temp sensor, they are a bitch to get to.

Don

thanks guys, i have to really look at this this weekend. i am sure there is a lot of gunk in the throttle body because the accelerator pedal was sticking and i removed the air intake hose and cleaned the throtle body with injector cleaner and it did work, no more stick in the accelerator pedal. i checked the throttle cables and it looks within specs. i am thinking of something like the throttle positioning switch. i bought the 62 from a one owner older guy and i know that there was not or almost no messing around with anything on the truck. and everything was factory from the spark plugs to the p/s hoses that were replaced. i'll take a more in depth look this weekend. thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom