RPMs go up during shifting- Transmission Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ST8ROCKS

Kevin
Threads
I have a 92 with 210K. The problem is that was the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd the rpms will jump 100 or 200 before it goes into gear. If I am on the accelerator harder it will not be as noticeable. It also only does it between 2nd and 3rd. Checked the trans fuild its all good. It does not seem to have any other problems.

Thanks for the help!

Ok so this does pertain to the shift linkages. Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didnt need to start saving for a tranny.

No the cable he is talking about runs from the TB to the transmission. If I understand it correctly it has something to do with increasing transmission shift pressure as throttle is increased. My cable is stretched so it is not adjusted exactly per the link that was provided. You may have to play with it a little to get the shifts how you like them. Too tight it will shift hard. Too loose and you will experience what you have described.

Ok so this does pertain to the shift linkages. Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didnt need to start saving for a tranny.

You're fine; it's a common glitch on the 91-92's. Just tighten that cable till it feels right. It's ok to go by "feel" on this and re-adjust it a couple of times.

Your shift points will also move to higher RPM's (i.e., tranny will hold lower gears longer), which is usually a good thing.

Curtis

I had the same issue and it ended up being a pressure hose for the transmission.. At least thats what my trans guy told me. cost me a hundred bucks

Hi, I had the same issue, but mine is a Diesel, so I am not sure for your LC. On the diesel pump there is a TPS (Throttle Positoin Sensor), that tells the car when to switch gears etc... I took mine off, it was quite stiff. I replaced it, and my LC switch gears like new.. No hunting, etc....

Maybe this helps...

Mine is doing the exact thing, 2nd to 3rd the RPM rises 300-400 RPM during moderate acceleration. I'll check this cable tonight! However, mine also looks like its leaking fuild (the bottom of the tranny and some of the t-case is oily and dirty.

1991 FJ80 with 229,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom