Royal Purple Max Gear oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Either later this afternoon or early tomorrow I'll be picking up my 62 from Torfab with the completed H55F conversion. Hit a couple snags with the tcase that they're wrapping up (someone drilled a hole in the front case half, a mounting bolt was missing, and it needed to be resealed). Fortunately, those were found by the guys there instead of by me while out in the middle of the West Plains on Eastern WA.

This leads me to my question though. In keeping with my gearbox maintenance schedule, I'll go ahead and change the oils in the tranny tcase faily soon so I can inspect the magnets and make sure everything's okay. I know the tranny ideally needs a GL4 rated oil for the sake of longevity of the syncros, and the tcase is best suited with a GL5 rated oil. I've been a big fan of Schaeffer's oils but they don't make a GL4 rated oil, so in my research I came across Royal Purple Max Gear, which somehow meets both specifications (how it does I have no idea). This got me to thinking if it really is a good oil, and knowing Royal Purple does have a good reputation, it may not be a bad idea to use this in both the tranny and tcase. Plus if a leak between the two does develop down the road, I can do the hose & fitting fix to keep the oil level maintained and not worry about different oils mixing. Have any of you guys used their oil? Wgat are your thoughts on it? Good, bad, meh?

I’ve got no first hand experience with the royal purple. It seems too hyped for me. I run the 50w mobil one synthetic in the new h55f and my split case that was rebuilt by valley hybrids.

I used conventional gl4 oil from napa in a 5 gallon pail to start off and changed it after 3,000 miles. Ive been running mobil for 22,000 miles on the same fill. The combination works well and has not leaked. Ill run it at least another 10,000 miles.

Whatever you choose-- definitely use the exact same oil in both the transmission and transfer case. You may have new seals now and no cross case oil migration, but that paradise won't last for long and the oils will start mixing before you know it.

With a brand new gearbox and transfer bits, you can use a good 75W-90 gear oil rated to GL-4. There's going to be some break in necessary (accelerated wear), so don't go crazy on getting the cats meow gear oil yet... since you're going to dump it soon anyway.

The obsolete best gear oil I ever found for the H55F and transfer case is Mobil Delvac 1™ Transmission Fluid 50. It's a synthetic GL-4 rated gear oil with similar viscosity to 90 wt called out in the specs.
I think @HemiAlex is using it too.

Whatever you choose-- definitely use the exact same oil in both the transmission and transfer case. You may have new seals now and no cross case oil migration, but that paradise won't last for long and the oils will start mixing before you know it.

With a brand new gearbox and transfer bits, you can use a good 75W-90 gear oil rated to GL-4. There's going to be some break in necessary (accelerated wear), so don't go crazy on getting the cats meow gear oil yet... since you're going to dump it soon anyway.

The obsolete best gear oil I ever found for the H55F and transfer case is Mobil Delvac 1™ Transmission Fluid 50. It's a synthetic GL-4 rated gear oil with similar viscosity to 90 wt called out in the specs.
I think @HemiAlex is using it too.

I've been eyeballing that too. I don't buy into the Royal Purple hype, but knowing they're still a good quality oil and seeing this was rated for both GL4 and GL5 is what got my attention. It looks like either would work well. I use Mobil 1 motor oil religiously. The tranny and tcase have about 5K miles on them from when they were originally rebuilt by Georg sometime shortly before 2010 when I got them from him. From the looks of the inside of the tcase though it looked like someone had been inside it since Georg did his rebuild. I suspect the break-in is pretty much done for both, so I plan to drive it around town, then put in the fresh good oil before I drive it back to Spokane on Thursday.
Thinking I'll try to find the Mobil oil first and if I can't get that just spend the money on the Royal Purple. Mechanically I suspect either one will work well.

I'm using the M1 Delvac 50w on OSS's recommendation in my H55/t'case and so far so good.

It's been said more than a few times in this forum that it's equally important to change these fluids often.

People poo-poo Sta-Lube, but it's numbers are good and I've used this a lot in some of my earlier 4 spd cruisers.

1588725570217.png

Having trouble finding the M1 available anywhere. Finding the Lucas almost everywhere though, which also meets GL4 and GL5 specs and is synthetic. Might have to look into that too.

I used to run the thinner redline MTL in one of my car transmissions. Was pondering running this in my 4 speed and transfer case to see how the shifting felt.

1588774105869.png

@Seth S I've used Redline MT90 in past Toyota 4wd 5 speed manuals before and it works very very good - smoothed out gear engagement slightly. I would not hesitate to use it. I havent need to change out the fluid in my 60 gear box or tcase yet but MT90 would be my first choice given prior experience with it.

I used MT-90 exclusively in my R154 after trying a few. Definitely had the best feel. Have used Royal Purple in other applications and liked that too.

@Seth S I've used Redline MT90 in past Toyota 4wd 5 speed manuals before and it works very very good - smoothed out gear engagement slightly. I would not hesitate to use it. I havent need to change out the fluid in my 60 gear box or tcase yet but MT90 would be my first choice given prior experience with it.
Cool, I might have to give that a shot and see if I can find it in a store here in western WA before driving across the state. The H55F had I think 5K miles on a rebuild by Georg @orangefj45 before he pulled it from the customer's 60 that got wrecked, and I think the same for the gearset in the tcase, plus the tcase was just resealed by the guys at Torfab, so we should be leak free for a good while. Regardless, I'll make sure to use the same oil in both and check the levels periodically. Should be picking it up in a couple hours (friends I'm staying with are working from home so I'm doing what I gotta do around their schedule as best I can).

I can't comment on the original post, but I also run Red Line MT-90 in my stock H-42 - smooth as butta'!

MT-90 is certainly a top gear oil. Only drawback is price, if you want to make regular oil changes.

have used royal purple in my motorcycle for past several years (tranny and final drive)... had napa brand before and RP makes things smoother and according to infrared heat sensor it runs cooler. didn't keep records of the numbers but it was significant to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom