Routine Smog gone bad... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just picked up my 3rd FJ62 a few weeks ago ... this one was an AZ cruiser rust free, pretty straight body with 203k miles paid $7000 (1990) .... drove it from Palm Springs to Huntington Beach where I live and it drove perfect! The last two weeks I’ve been doing all kinds of fun projects. Needed to smog it so I left it at my mechanics to have it smogged and the old r12 switched out to 134. It passed smog but needed some “tuning up” and an engine cleaning.... I tried to get more information but the mechanic just said it needed a tuneup before it could pass ? Ok I’m not an idiot but I know a little about mechanics and can fix things (and yeah I’m a girl) he said the carb was dirty and neeeded to be cleaned. Whatever it passes and i go and pick it up and pay and leave then immediately notice my car has absolutely no power in the engine ... like it’s high rpm and won’t shift out of 1st gear! I go back to the mechanic and say we’ve got an issue.... he jumps in and tests it and is like flooring it .... I told him to take it easy and it’s not driving normal like someone put a whole different engine it! Like it seems like the tranny was failing! After it hit 3800 rpm it eventually went to second and then a rough 3rd but definely is not normal.... I mentioned could it be a kickdown cable or low ATF ? He adjusted the carb? Maybe a vacuum hose is off or on wrong? ... I left it with the mechanic but am kinda bummed cause it was perfect before I left it?! Anyone have a similar thing happen? I’m just hoping it’s a vacuum seal issue and a quick fix 🙏🏻

E38B769A-70C2-43C4-BA40-720B53CDC45C.jpeg

I own a 60...with a 4 speed so I may be wrong but you may be a candidate for a h55 conversion. Great looking rig!

Well, if it is a 62, there is no carb, fuel injection.

Does the smog test require load test on a dynamo-rev it up with the rear axle spinning?
Could be kickdown cable like you suggested, check the FSM for troubleshooting.
hth

Well, if it is a 62, there is no carb, fuel injection.

Does the smog test require load test on a dynamo-rev it up with the rear axle spinning?
Could be kickdown cable like you suggested, check the FSM for troubleshooting.
hth
Thanks! On it

Wow sorrry to hear that.
Hope you get it all straighten out by a better mechanic. Or do it yourself.

Sounds like he messed up the kickdown cable adjusting the “carb” . Get your cruiser out of there ASAP before he breaks something. Sorry for your troubles!

Ok so it was the kickdown cable!!!!! .... but it’s still not shifting the same as pre smog... whatever “adjustments” that were made for it to pass smog messed up the timing.... so I’m heading to topline performance in a Huntington Beach... he is known for his fj restorations and very knowledgeable for anyone in Huntington Beach! I’ll have them fix it! I also had an exhaust leak and put a whole new muffler and ditched the flow master. Thanks guys for all the help!

Ok so......I’ll have them fix it! I also had an exhaust leak and put a whole new muffler and ditched the flow master. Thanks guys for all the help!
What type of new muffler?

I just had them replace it with a standard muffle
What type of new muffler?
Nothing special just had them replace the tail pipe with a straight one went to a custom muffler shop here in Huntington beach called bros mufflers ... I’ve used them in the past on my 2 other fj62’s

Well, you’re in the right place now. The 62 is the best land cruiser, and the 3fe is a bulletproof engine. EFI is super simple and very dependable. There are a bunch of decent cruiser shops in SOCAL, but there are tons more rip off artists. We keep lists of dependable cruiser mechanics based on local in the FAQs. That A440 trans can be persnickety but are also very durable when taken care of... Marks off road is down your way, further north you find Valley Hybrids. Lots of good cruiser people all over...

Join Trailcrew 4x4's facebook page. We are the local SoCal club. We have members all over SoCal from West Covina all the way north to Frazier Park. Lot's of 60 and 62 owners in the club too.

Well, you’re in the right place now. The 62 is the best land cruiser, and the 3fe is a bulletproof engine. EFI is super simple and very dependable. There are a bunch of decent cruiser shops in SOCAL, but there are tons more rip off artists. We keep lists of dependable cruiser mechanics based on local in the FAQs. That A440 trans can be persnickety but are also very durable when taken care of... Marks off road is down your way, further north you find Valley Hybrids. Lots of good cruiser people all over...
Thanks so much really appreciate it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom