Rounded TC case fill plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The TC fill plug in my 83 FJ60 will not come off and now the head is stripped, I am going to apply heat with a torch but want to make sure the heat will not damage aluminum tc cover?

The TC fill plug in my 83 FJ60 will not come off and now the head is stripped, I am going to apply heat with a torch but want to make sure the heat will not damage aluminum tc cover?
I've applied heat there. Don't be too aggressive with it.

If it is stripped, how do you plan to remove it after torching it?

I've applied heat there. Don't be too aggressive with it.

If it is stripped, how do you plan to remove it after torching it?

thanks! I was thinking vise-grips

Better the fill plug than the drain plug. If heat doesnt work you can try penetrating oil like Kroil and soak the area for a few days to see if it works free.

The good news is that Aluminum expands about twice as fast as steel does for the same amount of heat. So if you are heating the area and you end up heating the bolt at the same time the case is still going to expand faster.

thanks! I was thinking vise-grips

Vice grips are a start. I've seen people cut/grind a slot in the head and use a big screw driver as well. I'm not remembering what the fill plug looks like or what the access is like.

Like Seth said, penetrsting oil, heat, penetrating oil after heat.

If vice grips fail, I would drill it and use an ez-out.

If you get to the drilling out stage of the game you might consider using left hand drill bits...they drill in the direction of loosening the bolt so that you have a chance that the drill could become the easy out

FE399A2F-2573-480C-BECE-5074E5697305.jpeg

Here’s my fill plug, prevents stripping

I once had to weld a socket to drain plug on my 40, after trying over an over again it took about 5 minutes once I decided to break out the welder.

I picked up new allen head plugs from @cruiseroutfit, no more stripping!

Yeah, weld on a nut or bolt and go.

Better the fill plug than the drain plug.

unless the oil has been drained already.

worst case you could remove the PTO cover and fill the transfer thru there. the level will be very close to the bottom of the fill plug.

Depending on what's left for material, I've had good luck with a small pipe wrench. I have a six inch one that grabs the smallest of leftovers, and as long as there's room to turn it, continues to grab tighter with the jaws. Best of luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom