Round-Hole Pattern Wheel Recommendations? (Ref Black Rock 997 Type 8 / ICON) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Black Rock no longer offers these 16x8 with 0 offset and 4.5" backspacing (like the old alloy Yuma model). Product page below. Can anyone recommend high-quality wheels (alloy or steel) that look like these photos and properly fit the FZJ80? Matte/satin, no bling. :)

Black Rock page: Series 997 Type 8

Black Rock Wheel.jpg

ICON wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a lot like the alloy American Racing AR172. Or steel "Soft 8" style. I like the look...wish I could have found 'em in 8x17 -12.

I picked up these Pro Comp wheels when 4 Wheel Parts had a great sale on them, I paid $415 total for 5 of them

7069-6883-01.jpg

I liked how they looked, mostly

IMG_20190920_173400.jpg

I wanted less offset though, I wanted the tires to just peek out of the fenders, so I added some SpiderTrax wheel spacers and got the look that I was going for

IMG_20191005_121129.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Battleborn bead locks

I've got a set for sale, 16x10s -38 offset with 35s in LA

Current wheels are 16x8, 0 offset and 4.5 backspacing, running LT265/75R16s, 10.5” wide IIRC. Stock height.

Anyone see a problem or safety issue with going to -6mm offset and 4.25 backspacing with LT 285/75R16s at 11-12” wide, on same size wheels? Any offset/backspacing-imposed functional or max load differences there, or am I being a worrywart?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="jaymar, post: 13388549, member:
On factory 16x8 wheels with zero offset the 285/75-16 tire size (nominal 32.9" dia x 11.2" wide) is proven to be a fine fit that does not rub.

The new 8x16 wheels you're considering with -6 offset means you'll end up with less than 1/4" of additional outboard projection. Not much different.

I don't believe you'll have any issues. At the very worst, I suppose it's possible you could get some minor rubbing at full compression from a high-speed bottom-out where the axle travels straight up and into the bump stops. But, doubtful.

I ran for several years with factory zero offset rims and no lift with 315/75-16 tires (larger dia and more stick-out than 285's on -6 offset). These did rub the front fenders on full compression, but only when I was driving stupid fast and compressing hard on big rolling bumps. The noise was alarming, but no damage and no nuns were harmed.

On factory 16x8 wheels with zero offset ...
I thought I read somewhere the factory wheels have a -12mm or -14mm offset.
Or are you saying 'zero additional offset' on the factory wheels?

I thought I read somewhere the factory wheels have a -12mm or -14mm offset.
Or are you saying 'zero additional offset' on the factory wheels?
To my knowledge, 0 offset and 4.5 backspacing is factory spec for 95-97. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if not. :)

To my knowledge, 0 offset and 4.5 backspacing is factory spec for 95-97. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if not. :)
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!

But you're right about this.

[QUOTE="jaymar, post: 13388549, member:
On factory 16x8 wheels with zero offset the 285/75-16 tire size (nominal 32.9" dia x 11.2" wide) is proven to be a fine fit that does not rub.

The new 8x16 wheels you're considering with -6 offset means you'll end up with less than 1/4" of additional outboard projection. Not much different.

I don't believe you'll have any issues. At the very worst, I suppose it's possible you could get some minor rubbing at full compression from a high-speed bottom-out where the axle travels straight up and into the bump stops. But, doubtful.

I ran for several years with factory zero offset rims and no lift with 315/75-16 tires (larger dia and more stick-out than 285's on -6 offset). These did rub the front fenders on full compression, but only when I was driving stupid fast and compressing hard on big rolling bumps. The noise was alarming, but no damage and no nuns were harmed.
Cool. I was more concerned about the vehicle weight coming down on something that's farther off-center than factory specs. Not sure when that starts to matter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom