Round EYE's Headlight LED Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hogan

Three on the Tree
SILVER Star
Threads
Been running the Round Eye halogen 55/60w H4's for a while on our 40. These are light years ahead of the stock ones. We've converted most of the other bulbs to LED's and love them. So we decided to convert the Round Eye's headlights over to LED's too. The Round Eye's with LED's are light years ahead of them with halogens. The LED's run cooler 90-95 degrees, compared to halogens 145/155 degrees. Plus they draw less energy, which is the main reason we switched.

Just thought I's share.

Last edited:
Been running the Round Eye halogen 55/60w H4's for a while on our 40. These are light years ahead of the stock ones. We've converted most of the other bulbs to LED's and love them. So we decided to convert the Round Eye's headlights over to LED's too. The Round Eye's with LED's are light years ahead of them with halogens. The LED's run cooler 90-95 degrees, compared to halogens 145/155 degrees. Plus they draw less energy, which is the main reason we switch.

Just thought I's share.

Which LED bulb are you using with the Round Eye lens?

I got them off Amazon. They seem good, read the reviews. I hope this helps.

lt 2.jpg

lt 1.jpg

Anyone else try this yet? Just wondering you thoughts.

I got them off Amazon. They seem good, read the reviews. I hope this helps.

View attachment 2360054

View attachment 2360055
It is not desirable to put an LED chip "bulb" in a reflector housing that was designed for an incandescent bulb. It will produce scattered and irregular hot points of light with poor diffusion of light between the hot points. Need an LED housing for LED chips.

While I agree that a proper LED housing will perform better than an LED bulb in a halogen housing, a good quality bulb will in fact have a good enough beam in a halogen housing these days.

I have tried both, and have to say that for the money, a LED bulb replacement is a very good upgrade over halogen. If you want to do things the way they should, a complete housing will bring the FJ´s lighting up to 2020, high performance new car standards.

While I agree that a proper LED housing will perform better than an LED bulb in a halogen housing, a good quality bulb will in fact have a good enough beam in a halogen housing these days.

I have tried both, and have to say that for the money, a LED bulb replacement is a very good upgrade over halogen. If you want to do things the way they should, a complete housing will bring the FJ´s lighting up to 2020, high performance new car standards.

Do you have recommendations in modern headlight units for the 40’s?

Most everyone points to these and is probably what I'm going to go with.

I do. Rigid Trucklites. I saw they came on Icon and FJ Co trucks so I tried them. Very happy with them, I've been recommending them to anyone who will listen. Shop carefully though, I paid $360ish for the set, but I've seen the same part number on Fleabay for $600+.
20200731_204223.jpg
20200813_125917.jpg

It is not desirable to put an LED chip "bulb" in a reflector housing that was designed for an incandescent bulb. It will produce scattered and irregular hot points of light with poor diffusion of light between the hot points. Need an LED housing for LED chips.

Thanks for the information you are right that LED headlights would be the best way to go. I haven't notice any hot spots, not sure I would know what a hot spot would look like. I'm very happy with what I've done. Besides I don't drive at night very often.

Thanks for the information you are right that LED headlights would be the best way to go. I haven't notice any hot spots, not sure I would know what a hot spot would look like. I'm very happy with what I've done. Besides I don't drive at night very often.
The hot points I'm referring to are just concentrated beams of light emitting from the housing, with not much light in between those beams. That happens when you put LED chips into a housing that was designed for an incandescent bulb. A proper LED housing would diffuse the light evenly.

Most everyone points to these and is probably what I'm going to go with.
Those CityRacer lights appear identical to the Rigid lights. Likely the Rigid design was just picked up by a different manufacturer who let Rigid do all the math. I'm sure they are a solid choice.
One difference I did note: the Rigid lights have a heated lense that they claim won't fog or freeze over in any conditions. That's nice for any headlight let alone LED. I didn't see anything in the CityRacer lights description regarding a heated lense.

Last edited:

The only experience Ive had have been the Trucklite lights.

Excellent lighting, perfect pattern, very well made. Cant say enough about them.

Those CityRacer lights appear identical to the Rigid lights. Likely the Rigid design was just picked up by a different manufacturer who let Rigid do all the math. I'm sure they are a solid choice.
One difference I did note: the Rigid lights have a heated lense that they claim won't fog or freeze over in any conditions. That's nice for any headlight let alone LED. I didn't see anything in the CityRacer lights description regarding a heated lense.

I do believe its the other way around. Rigid is selling Trucklite manufactured lights under their name. IIRC, Theyre exactly the same lights, heated or not.

The hot points I'm referring to are just concentrated beams of light emitting from the housing, with not much light in between those beams. That happens when you put LED chips into a housing that was designed for an incandescent bulb. A proper LED housing would diffuse the light evenly.

Took it out tonight and could see what you were talking about with the low beams. I don't think it's that bad for as much as I drive at night I won't be upgrading them to a real LED headlight. There is none on the high beams at all and I could almost see forever. :)

FJCowboy, did you need to adapt the headlights or bulbs to your wiring harness? I've already installed an H4 harness/relay for my halogen bulbs. I was looking at Amazon, and they also show an anti-flicker adapter. Any issues with flickering?

FJCowboy, did you need to adapt the headlights or bulbs to your wiring harness? I've already installed an H4 harness/relay for my halogen bulbs. I was looking at Amazon, and they also show an anti-flicker adapter. Any issues with flickering?
I haven't purchased them yet but my understanding they are pretty much plug and play with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom