Rough Shifting?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mainly from 1st to 2nd a little resistance going to 3rd, stock '85 60. Did a search came up w/ some good info., the main point I found was that I might need to adust the slave cylinder push rod. I thought I would ask and maybe get some other thoughts. I remember my '78 40 was about the same, when shifting from 1st to 2nd there is some hesitation before it pops into gear. This could be normal for all I know.

TIA-

Oh yea, forgot to mention I just recently changed gear oil in trans/transfer case (90W). Thought that might of been the cause.

My cruiser from 1st to 2nd shows some resistense when it's a little cold, but when it warm a bit is a little smoother and i think it's normal. also my cruiser use to have a little resistence to shift the 3rd before i did my trans/ and tran but i think it could be the sincros or some bearings but i'm not sure.

Mine also has some resistance from 1st to second, but only when it's cold. I've just been assuming this is normal

Can't you pull the shifter out of the trans and grease it up?

Greaseing it up, No. However there is a shifting "ring" that the shfter rides on that is made out of nylon. It can break down and fall apart. Usually this results in the shifter droping down and locking in one gear or another, won't go through the "gate" to any other gear, (mine locked up in reverse). I would think if this just started it could be the ring going out. You do reach it from the top. Your Toyota dealer will be familiar with the $13.00 or so part.

And I might add, before I relpaced my clutch my 84 got "stiff" between 1st and 2nd. and balked at going in reverse unless you double clutched and held your mouth just right..

Possible problems:
A) Clutch isn't disengaging completely
B) Synchros are worn
C) Gear oil stiff

Solutions:
A) Adjust push rod; change fluid; rebuild clutch MC & slave cylinders; tighten fittings; replace flex line. Warning: if you have a coolant leak, it may be getting on the clutch plate making it sticky.

B) New/used trans.

C) Synthetic gear oil.

Could another problem for rough shifting be that the fluid in the transfer case has been 'pumped' into the transmission because of the tranny/transfer seal leaking? Meaning that the fluid in the transfer case is really low? I think that may be the problem I am having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom