Rough Rider (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I tell if my leafsprings are worn out? thx. There's about 2 inches between them and the rubber stopper. I can feel each and every bump. Can't keep change in my pockets.:bounce:

I think you answered your own question.
Could be the shocks, does it bounce going over bumps?

It doesn't bounce. It's more of a jar. I've bought a new set of Rough Country shocks to go on it but after reading some other threads, I'm not sure if its the shocks. I'm 200lb of pure honkey and if I try to bounce up and down on the front bumper, it barely moves.

this would be an indicator

I can feel each and every bump. Can't keep change in my pockets

How do I tell if my leafsprings are worn out? There's about 2 inches between them and the rubber stopper.

I'm not sure if its the shocks. If I try to bounce up and down on the front bumper, it barely moves.

Sounds like you've got yourself an fj40. :)

If you want to rule out the shocks, just take them off and drive without them. My guess is that your leaf spring bushings are old and frozen.

If you kept the receipt for the rough country shocks, you might want to take them back and get some smooth country shocks.

I replaced my bushings and got some Bil$teins and I have a cushy smooth ride. It still barely moves if I bounce up and down on the bumper, and I still only have 2" between the stops and the axle.

If you're really motivated you could pull the springs apart and put some teflon strips between the leaves, but I didn't.

Old is for certain. Just wanted some opinions before I got new Levis muddy. Got a much bettter idea now. Thankye kindly, Ethan.

You could also disassemble you leaves and coat them with a graphite paint. I picked up a gallon at Tractor Supply, and if I ever get my 40 put back together - I'll let you know how it rides.;)

I think I'll run the new shocks for a while and if that don't help I'll use the rough ride as justification for a lift kit in the future. Got plenty else to work on in the meantime.
Thanks for the input !!

They never ride smooth even when they were new. I agree to get new poly bushings and you might want to add an extended shackle on the rear to fix the inherent sag that comes with cruisers. Mine rides relatively rough but I still don't have blood in my urine. well not yet.

I've got a '02 Jeep Wrangler(I know, I know...) and its set up stiff as well.
I think the fact that I need window felts, rear hatch seal giving it a really harsh audio effect probably makes it seem much worse than it really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom