Rough idle and lack of power on cold start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping to get a little insight on what may be causing a rough idle issue that developed after a trail ride. Last weekend I went on some easy/moderate off road trails with a considerable amount of water puddles on day 2. When I started the vehicle on the morning of day 2 at camp the everything was normal. There was no hesitation at idle and normal power though out the power band. Once I got back onto the pavement I could tell right away that there was a lack of power when attempting to accelerate. By the time I got home the engine was hesitating and was having a hard time idling.

I let the 80 sit over night and tried it again the next morning, I'm thinking if something got wet it would dry out over night. The engine started up right away and began to idle roughly at around 600-650 RPM just as it did the day before. There is still no check engine light on and it almost wants to stall. When I start to drive there a noticeable lack of power and it can barely make it up my front street. Once the engine warms up the power comes back but it is very sluggish under 2500 RPM. If I push the throttle all the way to the floor as the vehicle accelerates the engine gains its power back over 3,000 RPM. It seems as whatever is causing the issue does not happen at higher engine speed.

I've check the basic items so far:
  • Made the sure the spark plugs wires and coil wire still had a good connection
  • Checked all the visible vacuum lines around the intake manifold to make sure none had come loose
  • Checked the MAF connector, it is tight
  • There was no water in the air intake/Air filter is clean

Any thoughts from the MUD community on what it could be and what to check next?

Thanks in advance!

CB

Check you temp sensor its wiring on the head. Sounds like a air and fuel mixture problem to me, trucks computer is confused some how. Could be O2 sensor related too. Again check sensors and wiring. No CEL is odd. Make sure the inside of your distributor is dry.

I'd put my money on the wiring harness plugs for the O2 sensors taking multiple baths in the puddles, especially based on your description of the problem. Frequently these don't even throw a code.

Do you have any codes?

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with the dizzy cap and go from there

I'd put my money on the wiring harness plugs for the O2 sensors taking multiple baths in the puddles, especially based on your description of the problem. Frequently these don't even throw a code.

Do you have any codes?
@BILT4ME No codes at all. Distributor was dry, Im gojng to check the 02 sensors right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom