Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOA Project Officially IN PROGRESS!!

My SOA ambitions just got supercharged the other day when I found another mudder who wants to convert his 62 back to SUA from SOA, so I am swapping axles with him! I am going to start collecting parts, and I'm PUMPED!!

My plan is to take this already set up SOA front axle, bolt it in with the stock springs and convert my FF rear to SOA and bolt that in with a DC rear driveshaft. Parts I need to get:

Ford Towers
Spring perches
U-bolt plates ( already have the u-bolts )
Extended Front frame to axle brake line
2 DC Drive shafts
Two early 60 t-case companion flanges
misc stuff

First step for me is to rebuild my current front axle in prep for the swap, so that will hopefully happen this week. I'll put everything in this thread, so yeah, I'm pumped!

On a separate note, Kenny and I powder coated my new rims today, which came out AWESOME!! Here are before and after shots:
Wheels 002.jpg
Wheels 001.jpg

Last edited:
The wheels look great!

I can't wait to see what you do with the SOA, best of luck with the build.

Sorry Glth, missed your question there... Between the divorced parents and them moving and us moving lived all over the place. Keene Valley up in the Adirondacks, Bedford and Carmel NY mostly. I'd drive right through your neck of the woods often between the two... Then went to high school in Western Mass in Norfield actually... And college at University of Vermont... Albany was sort of the center of it all, I was there often! My best friend is from Saratoga/Clifton Park so spent a lot of time there, and played lacrosse in the Empire State games in your neck of the woods as well!

The wheels look great!

I can't wait to see what you do with the SOA, best of luck with the build.

Well thanks! I'll make sure to keep you guys posted.

Sorry Glth, missed your question there... Between the divorced parents and them moving and us moving lived all over the place. Keene Valley up in the Adirondacks, Bedford and Carmel NY mostly. I'd drive right through your neck of the woods often between the two... Then went to high school in Western Mass in Norfield actually... And college at University of Vermont... Albany was sort of the center of it all, I was there often! My best friend is from Saratoga/Clifton Park so spent a lot of time there, and played lacrosse in the Empire State games in your neck of the woods as well!

That's pretty awesome! I have a camp up in the Adirondacks, with family near Boston, Hartford and in Philadelphia, so Albany is my center as well. It's a good place to live I think.

I played lax as well, but never made it to the State Games. I blew my ACL my senior year in high school which brought a quick end to my sports career and jump started other extra-curricular activities.:beer:

Congrats on scoring the parts. Did it come with high steer parts?

What size tires did you plan on running?

Congrats on scoring the parts. Did it come with high steer parts?

What size tires did you plan on running?

Front axle is complete with high steer. I'm not sure which one, but that doesn't make too much of a difference to me considering it's already all put together.

I'm planning on running 35x12.5's for now. I'm still open at both ends, no longs, etc and this thing will see a ton of highway miles. I might end up running two sets of tires since I have two sets of rims now, so we'll see. Whatever I end up doing, we're going to try to balance the DD rim / tire combo with dyna beads. I know you did it boots so we're going to give it a try.

I might end up running two sets of tires since I have two sets of rims now, so we'll see.

I've been wanted to do the same; run a road set (I'd probably go with AT 35s) and keep a trail set (like to stay with 38s). I think I'd want to have air tools though to make the change over much faster.

I've been wanted to do the same; run a road set (I'd probably go with AT 35s) and keep a trail set (like to stay with 38s). I think I'd want to have air tools though to make the change over much faster.

That's what I'm thinking. AT 35's for a DD tire ( love the BFG's ) and 36 or 37 for a trail tire. I'm on the list for a toybox, so we'll see if that ever happens.

I'm also planning on mounting my York where my alt sits soon, so I should have air for changing tires, etc. I've got a lot of things planned, that's for sure!

I like the wheels! I'm starting to save for some new 33s. When I get 'em I'm going to black out my rims too. Maybe I'll have some real tires in time to see ya in PA?

How was TN? Got any good pics?

I like the wheels! I'm starting to save for some new 33s. When I get 'em I'm going to black out my rims too. Maybe I'll have some real tires in time to see ya in PA?

How was TN? Got any good pics?

Thanks buddy! I have another offer for you. I am doing this SOA and will have no use for my 33" BFG's. They have about 1/2 tread and I'll sell them to you for cheap if you'd like them!

Pics, and yes, that is Todd Kaderabek, editor for Toyota Trails, in the Tacoma :grinpimp:
Windrock 013.jpg
Windrock 014.jpg
Windrock 027.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks buddy! I have another offer for you. I am doing this SOA and will have no use for my 33" BFG's. They have about 1/2 tread and I'll sell them to you for cheap if you'd like them!

Pics:

Nice Pics! PM sent on the tires. I haven't wrenched on the truck since before we went to Kintuck. I keep checking your ROTW and getting psyched up to start going again. I'm starting to search for clutch parts to do the 4spd swap as soon as I can get Larry to visit you. Thanks man! I'm all about the hand-me-downs :cool:

Tech question: so I have a rear set of Ironman 2.5" lift springs that I was planning on using before I realized I was going SOA. The rear springs on it now are 62 springs with short AAL's. My question is should I put a long AAL in my 62 rears ( getting flatter as we speak ) and use those or should I take a leaf or two out of my Ironman springs and use those?

Are the ironman's and the 62's springs the same length? If not I'd go with the longer set and readjust it as necessary. If you keep the rear SOA low (shackle through the frame) the 2.5 shouldn't do much. The other question is which springs are in better shape? Any pics to share to get stacking/removing ideas?

Are the ironman's and the 62's springs the same length? If not I'd go with the longer set and readjust it as necessary. If you keep the rear SOA low (shackle through the frame) the 2.5 shouldn't do much. The other question is which springs are in better shape? Any pics to share to get stacking/removing ideas?

I can get pics right away. Give me 10 minutes....

Ok. Springs are approx the same length at ~4ft. Here are a few pics to illustrate the springs. The springs on the truck are 62 springs with a short AAL, the set on the garage floor are the ironmans. I was thinking about taking out the bottom two leaves on the ironmans and running them, or putting a long AAL on the 62 springs and running them. The reason why I want to modify the pack instead of running it as is, is because the front springs have more arch than the rears and I'm tired of the truck squatting.
Springs 002.jpg
Springs 003.jpg
Springs 005.jpg

My 2 cents:

The ironmans definitely look to be in better shape and I'd be inclined to use those. I'd take the smallest leaf out but leave the overload and start from there. Expect to readjusted the pack but hope that it turns out perfect the first time.

My 2 cents:

The ironmans definitely look to be in better shape and I'd be inclined to use those. I'd take the smallest leaf out but leave the overload and start from there. Expect to readjusted the pack but hope that it turns out perfect the first time.

Sweet. Hopefully the axle wrap won't be too bad with the overload till I can fab up a trac bar. Thanks for the advice Mike!

Soa parts list

FJ62 front springs w/ long aal
Ironman rear springs
NOS set of u-bolts ( front square, rear round )
Extended SS brake lines for front and rear frame to axle
FF Rear axle w/ 4.11's
FJ62 front axle w/ 4.11's
Poly bushings all around
2" extended rear anti-inversion shackles ( might not run these )
Front and rear axle refresh kits
Paint to do the housings and springs before they're installed

Stuff to buy:
Ford towers
Shocks
U bolt plates
Rear Perches + trac bar

Now for my question. What width spring perches should I get? 2.5" wide or 2.75" wide? Not sure it makes much of a difference, but I'm ordering them as soon as I figure it out. Here are the two perches I'm debating inbetween: 1 2. They're both the standard 3" housing diameter perches but I don't know what the width is supposed to be. I would assume the wider of the two, but I want to make sure before I buy.

I am very excited to see the transformation of your cruiser. I just finished reading this entire thread and have to say it brought back some great memories fro me as well. My first cruiser was a 1977 fj40 I bought from a minister in Anchorage alaska. That was in 1989. Since that day I have driven nothing else. I currently operate a flyfishing business in Alaska where we use fj60s for guide rigs and I have a prestine 85 fj60 with only 90,000 original; miles on it. NO RUST. I call her "Dusty" she just sits in the garage collecting dust. I also have my mod fj60 with a 383 stroker and SOA with a H55 tranny and ranger torque splitter locked front and rear with ARB air. I love this fricking truck!!!
I just wish I found this forum earlier in my cruiser adventures. It would have saved me a ton of bloody knuckles and guessing. But it also taught me a ton about being resourceful and knowing my rig!!
I often wondered who was behind Jim Belushi 1942. Keep up the good work.:clap:
Tom <')))><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom