Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What part(s) of Moonshine have run the full 320k miles?

Good question :lol: Exhaustive list: dash, steering column, door cards, front outer fenders, hood.

EDIT: I've got a new hood to go on at some point this year when I change up my air intake setup, and then I've got to make new door cards because they're on the verge of falling off the doors now.

the hill climb video is pure beast

It was all that, for sure. It may have been more impressive from my vantage point at the bottom.

I have a list of about 20 or so rigs from mud that are pretty much my favorite rigs out there. Most of them, including mine but that one was biased anyway, are no longer with the owners from mud and most of the time just not on mud period anymore, Johnny's is one of the few ones that have withstood the test of time. Having the great experience of helping Johnny do the body swap and then later the 4bt swap was wonderful. Still amazed how far that rig has come.

Although it needs to bring the life guard can back in full form. ;)

Another week, another trip!! This will be the last one for a while, back to wrench turnin' :grinpimp:

Carolina Relic Run 2017 was a rousing success. I led the hard trail group on Saturday so no videos of Moonshine, but I did get videos of a few other cool rigs:

VIZyLycWazb-YFnsAg-7Q7Z_HLW9IxAPiCsxBcOaghY01ZE0ZtIIrfwXbvsaIIpu8heMp3HG_30oPIBg9ipoU-xCdwITecvFDSd0w2DqFlFwKwhEPmQgSKN4ok9XtKl-FshZ9qRgjneVbZuwJBsaQmEEnGIrbUnksSb4EmLbizLKRZ8LzQVy5DiaC9dRHlwjlO8gwZmkkalx-qEBVF523dUm9ORwMNU1H9o7MhNuTYVnmDYRKcmMaj-PPQl8tT1bM2lpjEBAU5m8tX37gZqakBcs0BvyxIoBwuBeXNfyY-qm-KBty9t0KVV82VzmmekcAkAAWSIiq9ULNbW1jVg6ne3q-59hvmQ9chznwiwgg0xIqAsbFLjLrlRjW1J3H0xYMmuch_bieykiqMcGB15ijAMElzx4hjK8bQiHQ8s5oQO1Tp8K1Bl_Jxn4OT9m_3I-PYlgLP-h1CnBzcO9p_xDsd-vz1MUcTNvnrBxdLd1KMXl2hd32O7mC7fJobiiWtxONUCZE2KbpQX3MH4UZgKkthC0k0kdOXmgj-ZmyJuML6DzStjOD6wXHCDoDrSCmll0LuJ3bdgFnEBXdZ1ZHXEUHOZQMrhhQPgJaXuBNGHm-mbRaOyU_8d6Eg=w2698-h2004-no

Check out some videos:

Relics can wheel hard too!! Check this out:

Nice videos Johnny...

I always am puzzled when people wheel with their windows all rolled up...

Thanks!

You're referring to the white 80? Hendog's bulldog was starting to overheat riding in the back of the 40, so he put the dog in the air conditioned 80 for a while. AC when wheeling must be nice.

Windows up keeps your arms inside if you roll it over. I've seen 2 crushed arms over the years with just that mechanism. Not a huge deal, but that's the rationale

It's like deja vu!! Brought home a new motor today, WAY newer than my CPL858. Going down the computer controlled rabbit hole for my next high-power build for Moonshine with a CPL8401.

Looking at the ESN tag via the below pic, I just realized this is a QSB 4.5!!! Wow I'm lucky, I thought it was a 3.9! All I'll say is that it's good to have friends who work at scrapyards
biggrin.gif
This motor came out of what was apparently HUGE specialized forklift that became obsolete. The engine ran perfectly fine. Someone scavenged the manifold and turbo before I could get my hands on it, but I got a screaming deal.

q4aHG3ps7x5j97OgOurSxqrJ0CiX4C5SxPZJXOHGuDIG_hfhAPB7agHygbGwwCzMKJgjLZsyBgKZltc18PwpkRr0_h673KlCZXBBDRr5euTg9OzxrvYZwxjIJW3EbM_PZZCqsLNDbJ7EMoOUAoRFFBLQYjzAtzgP3crHOoio5A4SCkWwQZVviO-fuXskYR2kGoOOdz2GJYxxlAKZKDDQ-nPwY25Vtkyg5DUSDj-0Y0Y0eMgZldznouZx11dPeVIdv1qeQtMNDGQnubyBGnzv-sLtt_qNGV_d2JBqr3yJ2avREnq6TE2NGthH2vPwE7tnbKG4XPa4dub0ijml0zonB9RKXD3Wb1WEh_4z1M2UVVbEftebCOHVmQqUw7yVIrPhI0jHqp2Xh3mb84aAOeJTadrODpMinpHmFPrkLlLToq2JhFPRiV7_GgwB5v3PuOdRJrFSoeGFDrQEWvxihXRlF1x2Him-6_fPHdTYYbZlnKmr80FkjnAnwA4b6jL4bCTjrPod88-PlrC2t5YD1aTxhHrNOBBv1_xQHlKoLzlRjgG_ReniKMs9LazwsO4VSxISw_05P3tzRK1cT7O97qeKclPUASUpvEFHmOpoLFc1Jfd4LW278Q=w2671-h2003-no

YM4qTa9DX8Xl5tZEP2U_WVdQp3EQ5X0WRa6h7lZioH6ZT7IihRKtz0IoD4oNFCcONU20MJx3ZoL1D8tqIbgK1cLu516yEkYjSuEqrp_rTRsrptJ7Asa4Dhh6Yj6gujuQAR8et0ujiylPYs_T1G_UnR34oUMll_HnCj4N8AjDD40AeayrJ1GloXvwxWbpYBffyUv5lLmQz9qNbIXY5SHLVsRcboZJajMACX5jQtUSQ90BNTfvxfWGCsGctoRhpFR4Kf_77ieAoxXm96JcQQ5rqv4WJwtqQC__TUeUMnxu3QoAtZ5fl4-YIDxrLM74WUSX-fva9doiCuti5YjaqoC49qiBraFh6HMcsYj9CYhUvIFY6sLS3K0z4YKvBGZ9vmlvJYiKPmqozXk1e3QoUN7ESwo3YZ_ct7K5Rfcizqsmdsh8lQmwZIvfxJcnZHsZeZW6OlAD87s48th_7SnWicEx2RHCuBfPpoJCNjvYTTKf4AMKLT6X0wnJ9fgwHI3H2QbNGcEjT5pra6gUsYiwFgMzytF0ZpDsPJB2lNSgh_KTI6G4C5SvUrvTcJpaumvr_dgjc-abVcW4ydu9DJUk6nngZAzdF9nYIB6WIWeu8IzRY36HHHfcRQ=w2698-h2004-no

The quest for more power. That's why, that and @J Mack has me convinced that I floated the valves in the motor I have in Moonshine now. Best case scenario, the rings are wearing out.

What do you want your truck to do that is will do better with more power?

Go fast :steer: Wth kind of question is that, lol.

The motor I've got in there now does everything I want perfectly fine, but so did my 2F. I want more power, that's it.

Go ask all the LS guys that question why don't ya :hillbilly:

Nice score. You don't need that manifold anyways since you'll probably need something else for you twin set up. Ya know, this is the perfect time to set that up.

Nice score. You don't need that manifold anyways since you'll probably need something else for you twin set up. Ya know, this is the perfect time to set that up.

You've read my mind Mike :D The extra displacement was a surprise, but that should only help me get to my 300hp (crank) goal much easier.

Since I've got a Super HX30w and with the plan to have this motor's rotating assembly balanced, I think I'm going to go with a HX40w as my atmospheric turbo. Super HX30w seems to run out of steam by about 2500rpm, so the HX40 should carry me up to 4000. Thoughts on that?

that and @J Mack has me convinced that I floated the valves in the motor I have in Moonshine now.

~4200 RPM @ ~48PSI of boost with 60LB valve springs was my 4BT’s ultimate demise, not sure how hard you’ve pushed moonshine but this was the recipe I used to kill mine.

Super HX30w seems to run out of steam by about 2500rpm, so the HX40 should carry me up to 4000. Thoughts on that?

More fuel, I can push my superHX30w into the 3500 range but EGT's start getting out of control pretty quick.

Good luck with the new engine, can’t wait to see what you come up with.

300hp shouldn't be a problem as long as you can fuel it, if I ever get to a dyno I'll find out what I'm actually making but I've got to be close to that by now.

Your combo is close to what I'm running as well and I'd think you would get it to light a little better with the bigger displacement. I'm amazed at how well the HE351VGT does spool for my displacement. I think a 14, 16, or even an 18 cm housing on the HX40 (don't remember what sizes are available) would work well for you. If you went with a wastegated housing you could run on the smaller side and keep the boost from getting too high. The balance is to have boost build rather than have it all there too soon on the throttle pedal because that will make the power band seem narrow. Right now I'm running fixed at 16 I think and with my fueling I'm hitting 55psi and it spools pretty well. EGTs are 1100+ on hill attacks but I cruise at 65-70mph at 700-750F. I have some lag from a stand still (normal turbo lag) but at speed things build quickly. It's not neck jerking acceleration at speed but it doesn't stop pulling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom