ROTW ROTW: green73's 73 FJ40 "OSCAR" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where do I begin?

I guess I'll do a progression type write-up.

I initially saw "oscar" for the first time in the parking lot at work in Alaskain 1999. To my untrained eye it was perfect. Stock, no modifications that I was aware of. I noted to myself that if it ever came up for sale "IT WOULD BE MINE!" Strangely enough, the owner got PCS orders about 3 months later. I nabbed "Oscar" for $2500. Initially I intended to tweak and tune and sell it for a profit to fund my CJ-5 build I had at my parents in the lower 48. Yeah that worked! It turned out that one of the previous owners swapped in a disc brake front axel, wiring, trans and t-case from a newer rig, but it still had the "F" engine. I had alot of fun in Alaska with it.

While I was in Alaska I met Mark-W and frequented his shop. I had him build a rear bumper with tire carrier, roof rack, FJ60 Power steering conversion, do my SOA, and install my rear locker. I couldn't be more pleased with the work, but I didn't get to wheel it in that configuration while still in Alaska. I eventually got PCS orders of my own to Langley AFB in Virginia. I bought a truck and trailer to drag "Oscar" from Alaska to where I am now. I eventually sold the CJ-5 project to fund other stuff for "oscar". Nice reversal of intentions there.

Since I have been in Virginia, I have removed the hard top, and subsequently the roof rack. I installed a Metaltech complete cage, tied into the frame as well. During this wave of modifications it became very clear that I needed a new tub. I got a screaming deal on an uninstalled Aqualu gen2 tub, and installed that. Also with the tub off came drivetrain enhancement in a 2F, H41, and Orion. Somewhere along the line I also toyed with Fuel Injection, on an Offenhauser 4bbl intake. One thing lead to another, and the Holley pro-jection ECU failed on me, and I went back with the Weber carb.

Currently "Oscar" is sitting beside the house awaiting new springs, as the stockers I have are warped, and a new rear driveshaft. I recently put 4.88's in both axels, and aussie locked the front, but haven't gotten to wheel it like this yetFurther down the road I am doing the 2FE conversion, but using a spare 2F I have acquired. Basically I would concider my rig "cookie cutter" as most of my modifications have stemmed from here and PBB. But it is a cruiser nontheless. The first pic is one of the very first of my rig, and the last is a more recent one from GSMTR '05

Last edited:
i always find stories of jeepers seeing the light so happy! glad you are enjoying your 40! keep it going!:cheers:

SWEET looking rig, With the fuel injection on the 2f, did you notice and performace changes as oppesed to the a carbed 2f?

Nice Cruiser man..... That cj-5 could have never made you as happy as I'm sure the FJ40 has!!!!!!!

74fj40 said:
SWEET looking rig, With the fuel injection on the 2f, did you notice and performace changes as oppesed to the a carbed 2f?

I did notice alot smoother running, which by the seat of the pants felt more powerful, but I have nothing to back it up. Combined with the Offy intake, I am sure there was more power there.

74fj40 said:
where did you get the fuel injection kit? how much was it?

If you are inquiring about the TBI/Offy set-up, it was simply an offy 4bbl intake, I ground it out to make the double plane inside compatible with a GM style throttle body. I had a friend make a 4bbl carb to 2bbl TBI adapter. For injection purposes it was a used Holley Pro-jection 670 kit. E-bay is a good place for those, but prices vary. If memory serves, it's close to 1k new. If I had it to do over again I would have adapted the TBI stuff from a GM 4.3v6, but I sold the offy and pro-jection.

If you are referring to the new plan, it isn't a purchasable "kit". I nabbed the cylinder head and most of the injection parts from an FJ62, and will be building my own processor for it. Well not from scratch anyway, I am buying the "megasquirt" do it yourself kit.

Would definitely like to see detailed engine pics of the full setup

Okay.... Here are a couple more from GSMTR 's past. Unfortunately I didn't get any pix of my flop at Crozet. Snapped the pinion on guardrail.

Last edited:
Random stuff here. Oh the apartment back porch hiding from Hurricane Isabel, and under the hood after the Offy/TBI experiment: The air cleaner assembly is off of some 1980's Caddy.

Last edited:
Hi All:

Nice rig! You have done a lot of mods to it, but it still has a "stockish" look to it. Good action pics from GSMTR also!

Thanks for sharing!

Alan
Seattle

Nice job, looks clean and like it could be a stock setup. Pretty cool.

cool bro nice ride,would you do the motor mods again knowing what you do now? would you change anything?My '66 still running f motor and 3speed tranny?

James

Yes I would do the same mods again. I wouldn't use the Holley pro-jection though, as doing a GM TBI mod is alot cheaper, and I would guess the same "performance". Even the things that failed, are good lessons learned.

On second thought, building a stock 2F carb rather than the Weber. There are always positive things heard about their performance builds. The stock carbs that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom