ROTW ROTW: FJFool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Andy, Rear driveline is 22 1/4" flange to flange. And for that long of a trip, I'd use the soft-top this time of year. Just my .02:cheers:

Thanks for the comments, guys! Hawkdriver, I have pics but I have to wait for my daughter to get home to load them for me(she did this ROTW)as I am lacking in this dept. An analog man in a digital world. That's why I like my Cruiser, with a rock and a stick I can get it going!!:cheers:

Very nice rig. You did a great job. Nice to see someone from the Pacific North West on the ROTW!

Alex,

Hey, it's looking great!!! It fun meeting you and John out in Tahyua, I should be able to make the meeting this next month.

later
Ryan

I made a missleading statement in the 60 series spring swap, when I took the spring packs apart, it was the SECOND spring that I re-drilled and flipped, that way when I flipped the complete spring pack, the military wrap stayed at the fixed end. Also had to use 6* shims for correct pinion flange angle. Sorry for the mix-up. And thanks to all for your positive feed-back.:cheers: Alex

Upgrades

Been a while, finally am posting pics of the latest upgrades. First is the spare tire carrier. I pretty much used (with his permission of course) REZARF's design, why reinvent the wheel. I used 2" x 1/4" square tubing , and 2" x 1/4" angle for the supports.Hinge pin from Iron Pig Off Road, excellent product. Latch mechanism from McMaster-Carr, marine grade paint. I wanted the tire mounted pretty much centered so no chance of hanging up on trees or what-ever. No plans for gas cans back there either, I have a tendancy of backing into things. So here ya go.
upgrade 001.jpg
upgrade 002.jpg
upgrade 003.jpg

Next

Then to my on-board air. I wanted a bolt on set up, so I picked up a GM A-6 Air compressor from a 73 Chev pick-up. Of course, nothing can be easy. The main upper mount wouldn't work as my valve covers are too tall. Didn't want to loose them, so I modified the bracket. Lower mount wouldn't work as I had block hugger headers, so I installed ram horns(nice, they don't leak!!). The front mount wouldn't work as I have early camel hump heads, no mounting bolt holes in the front, so I made a bracket to mount to the water pump.So much for the "bolt on" set-up !! Installed a 125# pressure switch from Kilby Ent.,part #PSW1, then to a quick connect under the front bib. I'm installing an air tank soon, but it works great for airing up tires for now. Also installed an in-line oiler as the A-6 does not have a sump like the York.Well, that's it for now, thanks for all the help guys !!:beer::beer: PS Almost forgot the most important up-grade, the horn from Harbor Freight. $9.99 OOOOOgah OOOOOgah
upgrade 004.jpg
upgrade 005.jpg
upgrade 006.jpg

Sweet rig. It's cool to see your 40 in detail. I grew up in Puyallup and didn't get a FJ40 until I left. I had no idea there was a Cruiser Cemetery nearby. Someday I'll get back there.

Hi All:

Alex, your mods are looking and working well!

You folks should have seen his rig out on the trail two weeks ago - flawless performance!

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the comment on my 40 mate. I have already gathered a few ideas from what you have done to yours. I love the fact that these things are still so popular & that there is so many different looks for one shape car.

Cheers
Wayne

:beer::beer: PS Almost forgot the most important up-grade, the horn from Harbor Freight. $9.99 OOOOOgah OOOOOgah

You could put a real set of train horns that run off the air compressor and lose the Ooogah horn.

Just a thought, I love my oooogah, but would REALLY love a real air powered train horn.

Ohh yeah, NICE CRUISER!

Thanks for the compliments, guys ! Last week I FINALLY put my F250 shock towers on, went pretty well. Grinding the top rivets off was the biggest PITA, but the whole thing turned out well. Had to move my radiator to the left side 1 1/2" because off clearance issues with the lower hose outlet, but since my front shocks were too long and would bottom out, I think they'll be good now. I'll find out next time out. Happy Trails, Alex:cheers:
cruzer 012.jpg
cruzer 013.jpg

what springs are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom