ROTW ROTW - 66fj40x2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
missionsonwheels.org
ROTW – 66FJ40x2

My rig came to me via an eBay auction in April of 2000, sort’a a birthday to myself. It was a stone stock 1966 with the original hubcaps, corrugated hardtop, bi-fold door and three-on-the-tree. My original plans were for a frame off restoration with new sheet metal on the rusted areas and sea-foam green paint. I drove her ‘bout everyday for a year and loved every minute of it.

My “downfall”, if you will, came ‘bout September, 2001, when a buddy of mine had been hunt’n and got his Z71 stuck on a county road, which around here are fairly good roads. Long story short this was the first time I got to use 4 Lo. Even with 29” mall-terrains and open diffs it was very cool drag’n a Chevy half a mile to the hardtop. In late October that same year I was invited to go to Rocktoberfest in Cass, AR as a passenger, and that was it…..I knew then I “needed” to do to the Cruiser.

While my rig has seen several incarnations since then here is how she sits today:

’78 2F, Weber, non-US dizzy, header (soon to get EFI)
SM420/3spd
’78 front axle, ARB, Newfields
FJ60 rear axle, No-Slip, disc brakes
Saginaw PS conversion w/hydro assist
RS9000X
37” MTR’s on MT Classics for the street, 38.5” SX’s on Long’s beadlocks
4” BDS leafs, front springs flipped with 2 leafs removed all the way around
Warn 8274 on a ConFerr bumper
Leece-Neville 120 amp alternator
Saab electric vacuum pump (my favorite mod!)
Full cage (Coming out soon for a Metal Tech)
Metal tech Nose Guard
Celica GT seats in the front, passenger side lowered to match driver
Geo Tracker seat in the back with headrests added
Tuffy center and overhead consoles
NWMP 22 gallon fuel tank
Summit Racing heater modified for defroster ducts

Future plans include;
Auto Meter gauges
Fuel Injection
Longfield’s inners and outers
Poly Performace rears
Metal Tech full cage with frame tie-ins and front winch bumper
New skid plate and sliders
Cut’n more sheet metal to make it all fit

Oh, x2 in the 66FJ40x2 is a second ’66 (actually ’65) that my daughter and I have started. It’s a frame sitting on it’s side in the garage.

Pics will be up tonight, sorry….I spent the weekend wheel’n :grinpimp:
Kansas Krawl 05 070 (Small).jpg
df3f.jpg
rotw1.JPG

Last edited:
what all was involved in that alt install, i'd like to do that with mine as well? what part number and from where? what kind of bracket did you use on it? thanks man...

74fj40 said:
very colourful, i have the same lift as you, how well do those 38's fit? did you trim the rear?
I've had to trim a bunch. The front springs are flipped, moving the axle forward ~3". The front of the fender has been trimmed just above the hole for the turn signals. I still need to get an IFS widening kit to keep them out of the inner fenders.

The rear springs have not been flipped yet as I have a NWMP gas tank that need to be modified first. I run 1.5" spacers on the back and they rub the front of the wheel well hard when compressed.

bandy rooster said:
what all was involved in that alt install, i'd like to do that with mine as well? what part number and from where? what kind of bracket did you use on it? thanks man...
The alternator was for a Chevy small block and it nearly bolted right up to the Toyota bracket. I think I had to add a washer as a spacer between the alt and bracket. I used flat bar stock, 1/4" I think, for the extension for the upper bracket. I used a GM heavy truck pully and measured out the belt.

I'm not real sure on the parts number, I found a local dealer and we checked the cases til we found one that fit good. I like not hav'n to worry about the voltage regulator and crap now too. One wire, self-activating, internal regulator, 160 amp that will need up with the winch is :cool:

Last edited:
HawkDriver said:
Sweeet rig man. Cool kid pic. Hey, I thought the MTRs were for the street. ;)

Looks like you've had lots a fun moddin it up. Looks great.

:beer:
Some of the pics are older when I wheeled the 35" MTR's. Now I wheel the SX's and street the 37" MTR's .... got a smoken deal on them from a guy that was get'n a new set sponcered to him. :flipoff2:

thanks for the info...if you could pull a serial number off it or something i can use to identify the correct one that would be great? how much did it run you...

your rigs saweet, thanks for your time

Hmm They'll let anyone on here huh? I probably got more of your truck wheeling than you do! I'll see what I can find.. Congrats on your 10 min of fame! :flipoff2: :beer:
I might even have a few from this past weekend.. But more from the month before and the rest of the year..

LMAO! 10 minutes a fame.......post up pics already :flipoff2:

Paint is all rattle can and it only looks good from a distance but it's easy to touch up if I can remember which can of red I used last :rolleyes:

Top pic is what the fenders look like for now.....If I can get my tube fenders finished that would be cool.

Still working onthe Leece-Neville part number.....

REZARF said:
Looks nice. Sweet rig!

How does the 2f do at turning the big swampers?

Rezarf <><
Thanks.

Not so good for highway driving but fine on the trail. The SM420 helps a lot on the trail

Mike, show us your cool hydroboost setup! Explain some of this possible issues with it and how you overcame them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom