1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotors, pads, bearings and seals

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Wayne, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

Just finished installing front rotors, 100 series pads, bearings and seals :D. I packed the bearings and hubs with Amsoil GP grease and everthing went back together easily :D :D. Replacing the bearing races took a little time though :p. I did find a few things that made me unhappy :'( ....... all bearing adjusting and lock nuts had chisel marks in them :eek: (how do you set proper pre-load using a chisel ???), the left front axle hub to brake rotor bolts (6) were torqued to probably less than 20 lb-ft (FSM says 47 lb-ft, and the two aft bolts in the right steering knuckle arms, one was very loose and the other was missing :eek:(the entire thing, bolt, cone washer, flat washer and nut, gone). I was experiencing a pulsating and vibration while braking, and a shaking in the steering wheel between 40 to 55 mph :mad:. Both those problems are gone :D :D.

Wayne S :cheers:

2. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    nice to be finished isn't it? You were obviously not the first one to do this job. The missing stud is the reason you want to put loctite on the threads that go into the knuckle, and also check them a week or two after the job..

how did the old right side knuckle bearings look?

how did the trunnion/kingpin bearings look on the side with the loose bolt?

3. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

I didn't do a steering knuckle rebuild, just the brakes (rotors and pads), wheel bearings and grease seals. Sorry, if I was misleading. I found the knuckle arm bolt situation just by pure accident.

Wayne S :cheers:

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Wayne,
    the chisel marks are the sign of an inexperienced mechanic playing with the outer nuts. IE I dont happen to have a 54 mm hub socket but if I hit this thing with a chisel I can turn it on real tight.
    Brilliant thinking displayed by a neighbor of mine who worked at a auto service center. I asked him if he had a 54 mm and he suggested I tried that trick. needless to say I ordered the hub socket.
    Dave