Rotor Squeal?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.. the last couple of days ive noticed some odd brake metal on metal noise, it only occurs at low speed, like just off idle, an only when im NOT on the brakes, there is no noise when i apply the brakes and the truck stops with no issues. do you think this is a warped rotor, stuck caliper etc?? l havent pulled the wheel yet, but visually thru the spokes it looks like there is still pad life left. i had it in for the timing belt 3k ago and the dealer didnt mention anything about it needing brakes, rotors or anyhting else.. any thoughts or anybody else experience this? thanks :confused:

check the front and rear brake pad shims(anti squel thingys) mine on the rear had somehow gotten loose and was rubbing on the hub........but it only made a noise when getting on the brakes

Are you sure its not the wear tabs indicating the pads will need to be replaced shortly? they make a high pitched squeaking.

thanks for the responses.. ive isolated it to the right rear wheel. the pad has plenty of life, so i dont think its the wear indicators. i did notice that the rotor has very inconsistent wear marks.. meaning theres a groove in the rotor at the top and the bottom. im figuring the rotor is warped.. but would one side warp and not the other? and when i replace the rotor, im assuming i should also replace the pads as they most likely conformed to the shape of the warped rotor? am i correct here? thanks guys..

I just replace the pads on the rear of my cruiser because of a screaching sound. On that right rear, I found that the outer pad still had some left, but the inner pad was completly shot. Had to take off the brake cylinder to find out.

Definately replace the pads when you replace the rotors. They are pretty cheap and easy to do. If nothing more do it for piece of mind. Paid $20 for my rear pads and won't have to worry about them for many miles.

Just for some information which some may find useful,

Rotors usually warp when you are using the brakes heavily, and when you come to a stop keep the pedal applied hard.

This causes a hot spot whilst the pads are held tight and eventually causing a warp in the disc.

Always remember, when towing or using the brakes heavily for a period of time, when you come to a complete stop, only apply light pressure on the brake pedal, just enough to stop you from rolling.

Idealy, just roll forward a foot or so every few seconds.

My dad taught me this when I first started to drive (he used to race cars) and I have never had a warped disc, or ever had to replace one in 25 years of driving.

Wilesy said:
Just for some information which some may find useful,

Rotors usually warp when you are using the brakes heavily, and when you come to a stop keep the pedal applied hard.

This causes a hot spot whilst the pads are held tight and eventually causing a warp in the disc.

Always remember, when towing or using the brakes heavily for a period of time, when you come to a complete stop, only apply light pressure on the brake pedal, just enough to stop you from rolling.

Idealy, just roll forward a foot or so every few seconds.

My dad taught me this when I first started to drive (he used to race cars) and I have never had a warped disc, or ever had to replace one in 25 years of driving.

Or put the tranny in neutral if on flat ground.

LonghornCruiser said:
I just replace the pads on the rear of my cruiser because of a screaching sound. On that right rear, I found that the outer pad still had some left, but the inner pad was completly shot. Had to take off the brake cylinder to find out.

Definately replace the pads when you replace the rotors. They are pretty cheap and easy to do. If nothing more do it for piece of mind. Paid $20 for my rear pads and won't have to worry about them for many miles.
Longhorn my rear brakes are sqeeking like I was riding on a bus, does this mean I have to change my pads and what type of pads should I use (manufacture & type)?? thanks again

It is likely. Probably the wear indicators that are squeling. Do you know when the pads where last replaced? If not, the I would go ahead and check them with the thought of replacing them. Make sure you check both the outer and inner pads. Back brake pads aren't nearly as thick as the fronts as they recieve a lot less of the work. OEM is always an easy route to go. Although, just any quality brake pad should be fine on the back. If you are planning on doing them yourself, it is a pretty easy job. The fronts are even easier.

LonghornCruiser said:
It is likely. Probably the wear indicators that are squeling. Do you know when the pads where last replaced? If not, the I would go ahead and check them with the thought of replacing them. Make sure you check both the outer and inner pads. Back brake pads aren't nearly as thick as the fronts as they recieve a lot less of the work. OEM is always an easy route to go. Although, just any quality brake pad should be fine on the back. If you are planning on doing them yourself, it is a pretty easy job. The fronts are even easier.
Thanks Longhorn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom