Rotor/Pad Install Quotes Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to have new rotors and pads installed on the front of my truck. Due to lack of tools and confidence i think I am going to have it done somewhere. I called the local dealers and got three prices for labor only....

$450 at one dealer (friend of mine, usually can get around dealer labor rates but this is just ridiculous), $148 at another, and $184 at the Lexus dealer (with loaner hopefully). Does that sound about right?

I still have to call a local indep shop someone has recommended to me but I get a little leery with letting someone not specially trained (I know I'm probably crazy)

I still have to call a local indep shop someone has recommended to me but I get a little leery with letting someone not specially trained (I know I'm probably crazy)

He is specially trained.... just in Porsches. And it's just rotors and pads.

Are you sure you need your rotors replaced? I'm amazed at how many people here are so quick to replace rotors. Maybe I just have ginger braking habits. Anyway, if they don't need to be replaced, if you can change a tire you can change the front pads - it's that easy.

He is specially trained.... just in Porsches. And it's just rotors and pads.

haha glad you know who I am talking about ;) I know it's just rotors and pads but it's not cake like the rear, it's pulling the hub off and repacking the bearings, setting pre-load, etc...stuff like that. Just terrifies me, still getting used to the fact that I replaced the rears on my own.

TM...I am almost 100% positive they are warped, always a sure sign is when I am creeping to a stop I can feel the pads hit the high spots and low spots. I am not the easiest on brakes so it doesn't surprise me at all, I've warped the rotors on most of my cars.

Last edited:
haha glad you know who I am talking about ;) I know it's just rotors and pads but it's not cake like the rear, it's pulling the hub off and repacking the bearings, setting pre-load, etc...stuff like that. Just terrifies me, still getting used to the fact that I replaced the rears on my own.

TM...I am almost 100% positive they are warped, always a sure sign is when I am creeping to a stop I can feel the pads hit the high spots and low spots. I am not the easiest on brakes so it doesn't surprise me at all, I've warped the rotors on most of my cars.

Not necessarily 100% true deposit and glazing of rotor can feel the same. Seeing how you are planing on replacement go out and do a few high speed to 2 MPH (not a complete stop) hard brake checks and see if they feel different after.

Will do, how high speed are we talking about though?

If they are warped you can just have them turned while still mounted on the truck. My local shop charges $160 for all 4 rotors.

The front pads are (I think) easier to change than the rear. No need to remove the front rotors.

Not necessarily 100% true deposit and glazing of rotor can feel the same. Seeing how you are planing on replacement go out and do a few high speed to 2 MPH (not a complete stop) hard brake checks and see if they feel different after.

Did the stops, no different after really just seemed to pulse harder coming to a stop.

mtnracer...I had no idea there were brake lathes out there that could do it on the car. I may have to look into that, it would put off the replacement for at least a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom