ROTM~ Pollo El Dorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It took me about 2 years of searching to find a rust free Hilux (or close to it). I was at the point on jumping on a jet and flying out west to drive one home. I almost pulled the trigger on one in AZ that looked to be in great shape.

I put looking for the truck on hold for a few weeks as I was driving down south to do some surfing and see Pearl Jam in concert. It just so happened that a guy just brought back a Hilux that he ended up not wanting (too tall for the cab) where we were planning on seeing Pearl Jam...

So I said the hell with it, saw Pearl Jam, Picked up the Hilux, And surfed Spanish House... It really doesn't get much better than that.

The truck had 32s, some very rough paint and one of those red neck roll bars on it... Off the top all of those things had to go... After that was done I moved on to fixing the L52, I kicked it to the curb. I went with a W56 and a Dual Ultimate 2.28x4.7. Also removed the stock bumper and added a Marlin Crawler rear bumper, and bent up some sliders. I also started in on fitting the M-8000 up in the front. I like the minimalistic look of tubing so I am trying to keep it low profile.

As for lockers, I installed a FZJ80 High Pinion E-Locker in the front, and Tacoma E-Locker rear. I took the easy way out for wiring and just used 12VoltGuys switches because I was under a dead line for a Tellico trip.

The negatives: I used a Front Range Off Road crossmember, Its a horrible design. It causes everything in the truck to vibrate, it bolts to the back of the t-case so all hits to your t-case skid end up being transferred into the drivetrain. Its my own fault for ordering it before researching more into, but not to many people say to many negative things about it since FROR is a active member on Pirate ;) It will be replaced by a Bud-Built crossmember it uses a stock tranny mount. The other one would be the 3" Downey Lift, rides great on the road but flexs about as much as stock. I am going to replace the springs (RUF & maybe 63's) and move the front axle a little forward.

Recently I picked up a 2004 2RZ with 15k on it, I have been slowly getting all the little parts to swap in the new motor and make the truck a little more up to date. But, the last PO('s) did not think changing coolant was part of regular maintenance :rolleyes: . Which casued me to blow a head gasket and tear the whole 22r apart, so as I type I am neck deep in 22r parts. I can't leave anything alone so while its all broken down I powder coated the valve cover and exhaust parts and cleaned up the motor and replaced allllll the gaskets, timing chain and threw in a RV Cam. I figure it will be in for a few more months and another run up to GSMTR so I might as well make the 22r a little more manageable.

For the future, I have PSC ram assist to put in,2RZ and some Krawlers for the trail, and rear Tacoma axle...

1983 Hilux
34" BFGs on 16" 2002 Al 4Runner rims
4.10 Tacoma Locker, FZJ80 series HP E-Locker
W-56/ Dual Ultimate 2.28/4.7
Some Tube M-8000
3" Downy Lift

Sorry about posting a little early but I will miss the first on the month for a rock climbing trip(not crawling). That's all for now, there is plenty more but I got some crap to do:p
IMG_6086.jpg
IMG_6087.jpg
IMG_6089.jpg

Last edited:
I added some hoops on the sliders to protect the cab a little better... Not in love with the look but the should keep the cab out of the rocks better. Yulp, been lazy and need to make a bracket to hold down the e-locker swtiches.
IMG_6090.jpg
IMG_6093.jpg
IMG_6091.jpg

22R getting some love, the new 2RZ and the HP...
IMG_6094.jpg
IMG_6095.jpg
IMG_6082.jpg

Here is a pic of it from Spanish House the day after I got it. The others are from the first trip out in the rig on the trails. Did awesome really for being unlocked and ungeared at the time. I have always wheeled heavy rigs, fj60s and 80s and moving to this light weight machine is amazing. This thing can go more places then my 60 could on 37s.
index.php.jpeg
apit_crawl3.jpg
B-pit.jpeg

I don't think I have many pictures from the last time I went out. But I did end up with a few small scratches and dimple dents, which is why I added those hoops on the sliders...But here is a few from Tellico
user1827_pic4195_1228621455.jpg
user1827_pic4198_1228621571.jpg
user1827_pic4200_1228621571.jpg

[snif] I miss my 1982 Hilux.

Nice looking outfit. Pollo El Dorado made me laugh. What's with the name?

I would translate that as "the golden chicken" but my Spanish is crap. :D

Nice Hilux! Nothing like elockers.

I would also translate that as "The Golden Chicken" and I get along in Spanish just fine. Hence the laughter. :D

Yulp,

I work part time doing graphic design and web work, the other half I work in a green house. A while back we got some plants packaged in some boxes with "The Golden Chicken" written on them, it was bizarre and smelled, well, like chicken. One of my coworkers there cut it out and stuck it on my fairlead, later that night I pulled up to a fellow cruiserheads house and we went out to pick up an axle and grab some joe. After grabbing some coffee I noticed it on the front of the rig ever since then its been called the Pollo El Dorado...It sure was a good laugh at the time:D

Great rig there..... nice to see it getting the love.

I recently moved into an 81 Hilux... and speaking of southern culture, mine had not only the 80's roll bar but a flag mount bolted on... LOL!~ wonder what flag they were flying as the rig was originally from Tennessee!

2RZ-FE is in and running...

lux2.jpg

lux3.jpg

2rz.jpg

2rz2.jpg

2rz3.jpg

2rz5.jpg

2rz6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom