ROTM: February 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passion for toyotas began in high school. It ran throughout the line from the AE86 Corolla and Starlets, to the Hlux and 4runners. I never considered Land Cruisers at the time as I didnt see many 60 series around. It was the early 1980's in Florida and there just werent many to be seen.
As the years went by I owned many different Toyotas.I saw the ad for my truck on TTORA which led me here to mud. I saw something in that truck. It needed me or better I needed it. The ad was well written and even though it was across the country I bought it. Hindsight being what it is, I should have had a mudder check it out and give me an honest assessment of the condition. I think someone even offered, but I didnt know about how most people into cruisers are stand up guys that would look out for a new owner. So after a long wait for shipping, the truck arrives, I am less than happy, it ran like crap, drove like crap, stopped like crap and was downright dangerous to steer. I made it home and started looking at it.
I had no idea what I got myself into financially. So I Made a plan and then took the truck down to a recomended mechanic. The first drive on the highway was very sketchy the motor had no power and I was really surprised to make the 2 1/2 hour drive in one piece. The bad news came in that the motor indeed was dead. The mechanic was Peter Merriam whom I now consider a friend. I left him with the direction to make it like new. There was a fellow at the shop that day ( seems he's there almost everyday) he said he was going diesel in all his cruisers (apparently he has a collection) and had a low mileage 2f (15-20 thousand kilometers) that he would sell me. Said it was from a JDM FJ60 firetruck. I now had my engine. This was February 2008.
I drove the truck home in July and fall in love with this thing every time I drive it. No vehicle I have ever owned has the distinct personality of this truck. In my town there are about 4 other cruisers ( 3- 80 series and a 62) I look for them everyday just to see someone who is familiar with what owning a cruiser is like. My addiction is complete, and my wallet is completely drained. I dream of lockers, roof racks, drawer systems, Ham radios and snorkels. I have always meticulously maintained my vehicles and I now realize I need a trail only rig. I use the Colonel for Daily driving, camping, and when time and work permit I intend to take it on more than a few expedition style trips. The people I have met as a result of owning this truck are great and always ready to lend a hand. I drive my 60 every day and find excuses to drive it even when I dont have to, gas prices can get to 10.00 a gallon and I will still drive it (albeit very slowly).
I have a lot of pictures so 56k will want to pass. Hope you enjoy.
Here is a list of everything I have done so far :H55f 5 Speed, 15k original miles 2F, Full desmog, Hellroaring Dual Optima Batteries, Hella black magic lights, IPF Headlights and harness, FJ62 grab bar,Procar seats, VDO gauges in stereo din, Dual voltmeters, Tuffy Stereo console with Kenwood USB/Satellite receiver, Bazooka tube 8" 200watt, Damplifier sound deadening, new carpet, Lecarra steering wheel, OME Heavy/Heavy 3" suspension, ARB front bumper, Solid Rock Off Road rear bumper (coming soon...right Jim?), BFG AT 32x11.5-15 on old school enkei aluminum wheels, ARB Slider steps, Eastwood coated undercarriage, FJ62 rear sway bar, Rebuilt transfer case, JIMC rebuilt carb, Non-usa distributor, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, TEQ shifter ball , lev o gage, from Cruisercrap, Hand throttle kit from SOR, Power antenna from fj62, Upgraded ground straps, , Amsoil everywhere.

Pictures are in somewhat random order: The latest undercarriage pics are after a year of driving including multiple saltings of the roads.
HPIM0778.jpg

HPIM0779.jpg

Power Antenna and Hand Throttle
HPIM0773.jpg

Closeup of IPF Heacdlights
HPIM0771.jpg

HPIM0770.jpg

HPIM0769.jpg

Rear passenger compartment
HPIM0768.jpg

SOR Smog pump delete
HPIM0766.jpg

Full Desmog
HPIM0765.jpg

Engine bay Dual Optimas
HPIM0764.jpg

HPIM0763.jpg

Hellroaring Isolater
HPIM0762.jpg

Taskled Dome Light
HPIM0761.jpg

Tuffy Box with Stereo Pocket, Kenwood Satellite, USB, CD player, Pro Car Seats
HPIM0760.jpg

East La Porte
HPIM0759.jpg

HPIM0758.jpg

HPIM0756.jpg

62 Series Grab Bar and Misc Cruisercrap
HPIM0755.jpg

Tuffy Center Console
HPIM0753.jpg

Lecarra Steering Wheel, SOR dash cover
HPIM0752.jpg

Another Interior Shot
HPIM0751.jpg

Undercarriage
HPIM0750.jpg

HPIM0749.jpg

HPIM0748.jpg

HPIM0747.jpg

Dusk
HPIM0777.jpg

HPIM0776.jpg

HPIM0780.jpg

HPIM0780.jpg

Stereo Din Gauges with flash
HPIM0785.jpg

Guages without flash
HPIM0786.jpg

Last edited:
Voltmeter in Vent location
HPIM0787.jpg

Yellow Guage bulbs
HPIM0788.jpg

Dual Battery Installation
HPIM0786.jpg

HPIM0601.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

HPIM0631.jpg

HPIM0630.jpg

Damplifier Sound Deadening Install
HPIM0438.jpg

HPIM0439.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

HPIM0442.jpg

HPIM0446.jpg

Installing New to Me Carpet
HPIM0448.jpg

HPIM0449.jpg

HPIM0450.jpg

HPIM0452.jpg

Undercarriage and Frame Cleaning and Treatment
HPIM0418.jpg

HPIM0416.jpg

HPIM0417.jpg

Last edited:
Original Rear Carpet
HPIM0419.jpg

Polishing Ancient Enkei Aluminum Wheels- helped a little
HPIM0420.jpg

I dont like Jut
HPIM0436.jpg

HPIM0437.jpg

More Frame Pictures
HPIM0411.jpg

HPIM0410.jpg

HPIM0409.jpg

HPIM0408.jpg

HPIM0407.jpg

HPIM0406.jpg

Just to prove the truck gets dirty
HPIM0412.jpg

HPIM0456.jpg

HPIM0457.jpg

Just Cleaned
HPIM0461.jpg

Camping with Upstate Cruisers
miascameraaug102008043.jpg

Blue Ridge Run with Upstate Cruisers
IMG_3495.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3467.jpg

enthusiastic kids
IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

Pics from the Blue Ridge
IMG_3491.jpg

great-smoky-mountains-national-park.jpg

After Clay Bar
HPIM0388.jpg

HPIM0389.jpg

HPIM0390.jpg

Before I did anything- New BFG's
004.jpg

Downtown Sylva
005.jpg

Peter Merriams
018.jpg

Lift is on OME Heavy Heavy
HPIM0268.jpg

Motor getting installed
HPIM0270.jpg

HPIM0271.jpg

More Lift Pics
newtruckpicsa003.jpg

New Brakes and rebuilt Birfs
newtruckpicsa004.jpg

Motor before Install
newtruckpicsa005.jpg

newtruckpicsa002.jpg

HPIM0421.jpg

I hope you guys dont mind all of the pictures it just combined many threads into one.

Let me be the first to say that is one SSWWEETT !!!! Ride !!!!

Mark

Adam
As always the truck looks awesome. Everytime i see it i find something else i want to do to mine.....

Dave

Great looking truck.

Amazing attention to detail.

And no rust!

Very nice job.

Would you like to put Dynamat in mine?:grinpimp:

Very good write up.

Awesome cruiser!

its so clean its giving me stage fright for next month...

Reservoir is on passenger fender liner in engine bay. The battery tray is OEM. It fits perfectly. Thanks all for the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom