Rotella T4 vs. Valvoline Super Blue in Gasoline Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for more sludge busting detergent than modern mineral oil intended for gas engines. The Valvoline bottle is an all-fleet (gas, diesel, natural gas), but the Rotella is just diesel. I assume that the Rotella has more Zddp, making it a diesel-cat only compliant, but my 40 has no cat converter, so it should be good to go, but, I don't really know.

Opinions?

rot used used to be the way to go, as it did have more zddp in it..which was great for our flat tappet engines....those days are long gone, as they reduced the amount by a good bit.
i still use their 10-30, just because i'm used to buying the label.

Lucas for classic cars has more than enough zddp. Relatively cheap and comes in the 10w-40 flavor. Most modern oils do not contain enough zddp because of catalytic converters. If your looking at diesel oils you want the old CJ standard not the newer CK oils.

The CK oil contains less zddp.

I've been running Rotella for years. When you can pick it up in Walmart for a little over $21 for a gallon. The newer T6 meets these specs: "API, CK-4, CJ-4, ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2; Caterpillar ECF-2,
ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086; DDC DFS 93K222;
MB-Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4.5; Ford WSS-M2C171-F1;
Allison TES 439, MAN 3775; MACK EOS-4.5"

All engine oils have detergent in them unless they state they don't on the label. It doesnt matter if they have zinc or not. The best way to clean internal sludge without physically removing it from an engine, is to shorten oil change intervals and let the detergents do their work. I've witnessed success by doing it this way.

Last edited:
Good article from Castrol on the subject. I am running a test between Mobil Delvac 15w40 and Mobil1 10w40 to compare the exhaust and consumption. Will not be a scientification test, but more visual and dipstick type.

1630099226398.png

Last edited:
Some decent info "HERE" also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom