rotella synthetic 0w40data point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
switched to rotella full synthetic 0w-40 at the last oil change. i have been unable to find 0w40 mobil 1 here in Canada unless I buy it by the case direct from the esso distrubutor so I went with what was available .

Anyway, 700 miles since the switch my main seal/pan arch oil weep is gone :D. I have had that sincei got the truck 22,000 miles ago: always with a film of fresh oil on and around the inspections plate and a drip forming. The plate is now bone dry. I was very surprised.

On the other hand I have occasional minor start up rattle for the first time since I switched to the small good filter. I was previously using 10w30 and 5w30 mobil 1.

I also have used no oil so far with town, highway and offroad driving, whereas by now with mobil 1 I would expect to be half way down to the add line.

i will monitor the start up rattle but i recommend you try this if you have a seep at the main seal inspection plate.

I have never seen Rotella 0w-40, is it just sold in Canada?

the 5w-40 sold here is marketed as "Fully Synthetic" is actually a group III, but still a good oil at a good price unlike other group III's sold at synthetic prices. (Castrol)

I wonder if the Mobil/Castrol arbitration applies in Canada? wonder if in Canaa is if is markeded as "Fully Synthetic" if it actually has to be.

I had the same results with RotellaT5w40syn.
My front pan arch leak and timing cover seep want away.
I use 1qt for 3000mi. It increased after 3000mi but I have a gas in oil problem so that must be the reason the oil consumption increases as the oil gets older.

I am using Delo untill I solve the gas problem.

I had less consumption when I switched from Mobil 1 ?w40 to Rotella T 5w40 "synthetic".

M1 tends to consume faster in some 1FZ's. It doesn't like high rpm for some reason.
I had no problem with high rpm and RotellaT.

Switched to Rotella 5W-40 Syn from Mobile 1 also enjoyed less comsumption...with the M1 is was a quart every 1000 miles....with Rotella it is about 1/3 to a 1/2 a quart every 3,000 miles...

My opinion is that Rotella is GOOD STUFF.

it says rotella T SB "100% synthetic". on the back it says it is 100% synthetic commercial oil useable where API CG4, CF/SJ pr Allison C-4 are recommended as an engine, transmission or hydraulic oil.

however now that I look carefully there is a tiny "+" footnote sign on the front where it says 100% synthetic and on the back it says "+ exclusive of additive carrier oil" so I guess they are lying.

on bottom of jug it says HDPI and there is a capital letter G in a box. Also, it is no cheaper than M1.

the addative carrier oil is a small percentage, I woudl not worry about it, I am more curious about the base oil,

looks like the 0w-40 is a product of Shell Canada.

http://www.shell.ca/code/products/commercial/lubricants/tips/tips-header/1-15.pdf

and unlike the American 5w-40 is a group IV with some group V similar to M1 0w-40

Rotella T 0w40 fully synthetic is a mix of mainly PAO with some
diester. It is not group III.

http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject/fluids/shell.htm

semlin said:
Also, it is no cheaper than M1.
Rotella T syn is $12.98 from walmart for 1 gal vs. ~$19 for M1. Of course the real question is whether you can find the correct viscocity in stock, and whether your willing to fight the white trash to get it :D
It may not be fully "true" synthetic but it is a good oil none the less, and the decreased consumption was nice.

firetruck41 said:
...and whether your willing to fight the white trash to get it :D

nice :rolleyes:

semlin said:
in canada it is C$30 for 4 litres just like mobil 1.

raventai those stats look roughly cvomparable to mobil 1 0w40?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_0W-40.as

it has some similarities, woudl be interested to see some UOA's of that oil.

Other than the aforementioned base oil composition similarity here are the published stats

Viscosity

Rotella T SB 100% Synthetic 0W-40 / Mobil 1 0w-40 / SHELL ROTELLA® T Synthetic

Pour point in °C -48 / -54 / -40

cSt at 40° C........... 86.2/ 80 / 90
cSt at 100° C......... 14.9/ 14.3 / 15.0

Viscosity Index 182/ 187 / 176

Flash Point, ° C 226 / 236 / 222

M1 is the thinnest wile the 5w-40 is the thickest, and the Shell 0w-40 in the middle.

The 5w-40 has the lowest flash point and highest pour point, not that I would try to start my 80 any where near that cold

Approvals

API American Petroleum Institute
Gas: SJ................Diesel: CG-4, CF-4, CF,
Gas: SL,SJ,......Diesel: CF,.....................? EC (WTF is that? )
Gas: SL, SJ, SH Diesel: CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF

As expected the Rotella’s hold more Diesel ratings, and the M1 very light in this department

My 96 owners manual calls for the now obselete API SH rating. "API SH, Energy–Conserving II multigrade engine oil or ILSAC multigrade engine oil."

The API is now up to SM witch none of them meet, there is some debate between those who know more about this than I weather SM is truly an upgrade.

All three meet SJ (1996-2001) Mobil and the 5w-40 also meets SL (2001-2004) beyond that what the true difference between SJ and SL I do not know. The 5w-40 also has a listing for the obsolete SH approval.

generally the API ratings are progressively tougher requiring better oil so API spec SJ and SL are safe to use in an engine originally calling for SH,

API ratings generally mean the oil meets a minimum requirement that should be followed but does not tell you much else.

Acea European Automobile Manufacturers Association
Both shells: not rated
Mobil: A3,B3,B4

A3 is a good rating to have, a shear stable thicker oil. Europeans are interested in long drain intervals and oil that can hold up to shear, the ACEA ratings generally fall along base oil types (Dino vs Synthetic) and expected use, I guess Shell did not think anyone would want to use their products in a European car. M1 0-w40 is marketed/targeted directly at European vehicles.

A1/B1
Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3
Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils ,and/or for sever operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4
Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under B3.

A5/B5
Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Just to chime in here, I am a believer that if possible you should use an oil that that meets ACEA A3/b3 in the LC. As Raventai said, not all oils that would meet the spec will be labled as such. An example is the Rotella synth 5w-40, which should easily meet the spec, but has not paid to have it approved. Generally any oil that is more than 12.5 cst@100c (heavy 30 weight or heavier) will meet A3. All 15w-40 mineral oils meet this spec, and all 0w-40, 5w-40 & 10w-40 synthetic oils whould meet the spec also, even if not labled.

Also, as I have previously mentioned, there is really no reason to run a 50 weight oil in the LC. It will provide no additional protection and lower your gas mileage, while potentially causing the motor to run slightly warmer. If you are running a blower or turbo and tow a heavy trailer in the summer (90f+), then you may be one of the few canidates that would be prudent to use a 50 weight oil.

cary said:
Just to chime in here, I am a believer that if possible you should use an oil that that meets ACEA A3/b3 in the LC. As Raventai said, not all oils that would meet the spec will be labled as such. An example is the Rotella synth 5w-40, which should easily meet the spec, but has not paid to have it approved. Generally any oil that is more than 12.5 cst@100c (heavy 30 weight or heavier) will meet A3. All 15w-40 mineral oils meet this spec, and all 0w-40, 5w-40 & 10w-40 synthetic oils whould meet the spec also, even if not labled.

Also, as I have previously mentioned, there is really no reason to run a 50 weight oil in the LC. It will provide no additional protection and lower your gas mileage, while potentially causing the motor to run slightly warmer. If you are running a blower or turbo and tow a heavy trailer in the summer (90f+), then you may be one of the few canidates that would be prudent to use a 50 weight oil.

or live in South Florida - 50 wt might be it :cool:

Hey Semlin,
I use that 0w40 in my 3b. It makes cool morning starts a breaze. Great oil.

What kind of temp are you in. That oil is more for very cold conditions. No?

i'm in vancouver but I like to ski :D I actually wanted the 40 weight range as much as the 0. somewhere cary (aka the mud oil guru) has a post or two that convinced me that a 40 weight full syn oil was the optimum way to go with an 80 gasser, but I could not get mobil 1 except in a 5 or 10/30 or a 15/50 locally. anyway, to update, it is a little over 5000 miles later and oil use remains lower than the mobil 1 but the main seal weep is back although less pronounced. just bought another 8 litres on the weekend.

Semlin regarding your start up rattle next time try switching to the Napa gold filter--1515, it is made by wix filters. The rattle went away although now I have a stock pile of toyota filters......

Semlin, I'm kinda surprised you can't find the Mobil1 0w40 over there. I regularly get my oil changed at a Mr Lube, and they always keep a few cases of it stocked for me in the back shed :) .

Here is a link to all the Mr Lubes in the Vancouver area. I know you've already switched, but I thought it might be wrth a call to see if they actually carry 0w40 out west at these shops for next time perhaps.

:cheers:

TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom