Rotella 15w-40 experience in my 1FZE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After scouring through lots of threads here about oil preferences, I decided to switch mine to Rotella 15w-40 with a fresh Mobil 1 filter.

I'm a bit of a neat freak so I always clean and wipe up any oil splatters after an oil change. Typically, that's on the block where the filter is, on the frame/suspension underneath, and around the valve covers.

I drove it the next day for about 75 miles round trip and noticed a really nasty oil smell from the engine on the street as well as on the highway. Cold and warm engine. As if oil was burning somewhere. I just replaced the valve cover gasket and o-ring on the distributor and checked to see if those seals were still good. No evidence of oil leaking in those spots. No smoke that I could see from the engine bay or tailpipe. Couldn't find any new-looking oil leaks either. Double-checked to make sure the filter was seated and flush.

This nasty oil smell went on for a couple of days to the point where I couldn't drive it anymore. My buddy and I went surfing and even he commented that it stunk. It never stunk before I switched to the Rotella 15w-40. I suspected it was the new oil so I switched to Mobil 5w-30 Synthetic I had at home for my 1st Gen 4R and yet another brand new Mobil 1 filter. Drove it the same as before and there is no smell at all. No leaks.

Anybody else experience the same nasty smell switching to Rotella 15w-40 or any weight change for that matter? Still wondering if there was anything going on internally for the engine to burn more oil with the 15w-40. Or if other oil types burn just as much internally, but just don't stink like 15w-40 does. It's totally possible I missed an oil splatter somewhere that slowly burned off, but I find it unlikely since I spent a lot of time cleaning up after the initial change.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As @WarDamnEagle said, lots of opinions. Our engine is slated to run from a 5w30 all the way up 15w50. Personally I’ve run 15w40 and 5w40 for over a decade. But I also have a check engine light. The diesel 40’s are not good for cats, according to some. I guess it’s up to personal experience.

I’ve run rotella 15-40 in two different 80s and haven’t experienced any odd smells. And people run rotella in everything from 80s and discovery 2s to 20 valve audis. If it has a big issue I think it would’ve come up 10 years ago🤷🏽‍♀️

I'm in the Mid West and I typically run 5W-30 QS. No leaks and no oil usage. I accidentally grabbed the wrong oil jug and poured in 10W-30 for one of my other cars.

My 80 started leaking and burning oil bad. It was losing oil to the tune of 1 qt / 1000 miles. I finally figured out what I had done, drained the oil and put in the 5W-30 again, and my leaking / burning problems went away.

I run 15-20K miles/ year and I am very regular on my maintenance. A thicker oil will cause more back pressure against seals and may cause them to leak. I've seen it on other engines as well.

I'm in the Mid West and I typically run 5W-30 QS. No leaks and no oil usage. I accidentally grabbed the wrong oil jug and poured in 10W-30 for one of my other cars.

My 80 started leaking and burning oil bad. It was losing oil to the tune of 1 qt / 1000 miles. I finally figured out what I had done, drained the oil and put in the 5W-30 again, and my leaking / burning problems went away.

I run 15-20K miles/ year and I am very regular on my maintenance. A thicker oil will cause more back pressure against seals and may cause them to leak. I've seen it on other engines as well.

Super interesting. Ok so I'm not the only one, then. The heavier oil somehow getting past seals is one of the theories I had.

After scouring through lots of threads here about oil preferences, I decided to switch mine to Rotella 15w-40 with a fresh Mobil 1 filter.

I'm a bit of a neat freak so I always clean and wipe up any oil splatters after an oil change. Typically, that's on the block where the filter is, on the frame/suspension underneath, and around the valve covers.

I drove it the next day for about 75 miles round trip and noticed a really nasty oil smell from the engine on the street as well as on the highway. Cold and warm engine. As if oil was burning somewhere. I just replaced the valve cover gasket and o-ring on the distributor and checked to see if those seals were still good. No evidence of oil leaking in those spots. No smoke that I could see from the engine bay or tailpipe. Couldn't find any new-looking oil leaks either. Double-checked to make sure the filter was seated and flush.

This nasty oil smell went on for a couple of days to the point where I couldn't drive it anymore. My buddy and I went surfing and even he commented that it stunk. It never stunk before I switched to the Rotella 15w-40. I suspected it was the new oil so I switched to Mobil 5w-30 Synthetic I had at home for my 1st Gen 4R and yet another brand new Mobil 1 filter. Drove it the same as before and there is no smell at all. No leaks.

Anybody else experience the same nasty smell switching to Rotella 15w-40 or any weight change for that matter? Still wondering if there was anything going on internally for the engine to burn more oil with the 15w-40. Or if other oil types burn just as much internally, but just don't stink like 15w-40 does. It's totally possible I missed an oil splatter somewhere that slowly burned off, but I find it unlikely since I spent a lot of time cleaning up after the initial change.

You didn't happen to also grease your U-Joints and propshaft splines at the same time did you?

I had a ‘97 that smelled a little foul after my first Rotella T6 15-w40 oil change. It wasn’t intolerable, however. It faded away after 2-300mi. I assumed it was the additives in the new oil (?).

It stunk again when I changed the down pipe and cats. Again... a temp thing.

Are you thinking grease flung up on the muffler or down pipes? That always happens to me after an oil change/greasing.

Yes, Mrs. Flintknapper always complains of that when I grease the u joints and prop-shafts. Invariably some of it gets flung onto the muffler and pipes. Smells for a day or two.

Just as an FYI, the other day i was at WalMart, sitting on the shelf was a Rotella motor oil for use in gasoline engines.

I run Rotella 5w-40 in my 80 and have never had any smells. Try switching to the lighter, synthetic Rotella and see if it clears things up.

I run 5w30 rotella synth with no issues. Infact it seems to idle smoother for some reason. So as long as it goes on sale at walmart every once in a while i will keep running it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom