Rotary Phase converters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever build one of these? I'm picking up some 3ph equipment for the garage and need a converter. Been hearing about guys using rope to start the 3ph motor, using other smaller 110 motors to get it going etc. Anyone have any good info or good urls to recommend on reading up on building one? As usual, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but am going to try anyway.

Thanks

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=12785;start=msg117624#msg117624 date=1078805329]
As usual, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but am going to try anyway.

[/quote]

That's the spirit, Ignorance is bliss!! :beer: :beer:

As for the answer to your question I have NO idea. :D

Search the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. Everything to know and not know about phase converters has been posted there.

Never heard of anyone building one, but you can buy 'em. Pretty spendy for a 3hp motor though; might be cheaper to get 3-phase delivered to your door (so to speak). Can't you just run a 3hp single phase motor? Or is this like a CNC machine you want to run?

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=12785;start=msg117624#msg117624 date=1078805329]
Anyone ever build one of these? I'm picking up some 3ph equipment for the garage and need a converter. Been hearing about guys using rope to start the 3ph motor, using other smaller 110 motors to get it going etc. Anyone have any good info or good urls to recommend on reading up on building one? As usual, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but am going to try anyway.

Thanks
[/quote]

junk,

I'll talk to Will...he built his own, it's slick.

To quote a buddy,
"a three phase motor will not start on a single phase input but it will run on a single phase input. In such condition two of the three phases are not excited so that they can be used to generate phased current. Take those two generated phases and reintorduce the original single phase current and you now have three phase current that you can run a three phase motor with providing that the machine you want to run draws no more than you are putting out which is roughly related to the horsepower of the generating motor versus the horsepower of the using motor. Obviously, the load you put on the using motor is also important."

I have a 5HP phase converter that I purchased new when I picked up the South Bend a few years back. Has wprked great, and I don't think I spent 150.00 on it.

My new Ellis drill press uses a three phase motor, but there is a electrical control box for the unit, that makes the three phase, not using an additional rotating motor like my 5HP unit, it is all IC stuff from what I was told..

Good luck!

-Steve

My folks couldn't get 3 phase at there place so they have a converter, its was bloody spendy and looks like something from the ages ago........its needed to run the elevator.

So far, Pimp and Poser have the coolest of toys. Got to love it. Poser, you got to post a pic of your shop or email some pics at some point. massive drool factor.

massive drool factor.
That's just a neurological disorder :D :flipoff2:

Damn rookies always mouthing off :eek:

Just about any industrial motor distributor should have a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) you can purchase them that will take 220 single phase and convert it to 3 phase 230 or 460 depending on the model purchased. these are very inexpensive compared to motor replacement at least for the company I work for, but you might want to check both options.

I have done this for some of our customers to allow them to purchase our standard equipment without having 3 phase in their buildings

Thanks. Yeah, saw some VFD's on ebay and such, just heard that they were not good for quick reverse - so some things would be tough. Seems to be the bees knees though for some things like step pulley machines etc.

Thanks for all the info.

Ellis tells me that I can reverse my drill press at any speed..for what that is worth...

Well yeah, but that drill is the s***. If you come home some day and see an 80 series high tailing it, with a :flipoff2: out the window and NJ plates, ya better not look for that thing :D Just kidding, but that is an awesome drill press.

VFD's for most applications will allow a 3 phase motor to operate at it's true capacity as well. Rotary converters do not excite the windings the same as true 3 phase. A VFD takes single phase AC, turns it into dc and then back to AC, but 3 phase. No, I don't have any in my garage or at the shop.. sorry. VFD's also give you more speed control. Info from a fellow electrician that knows way more than me.

Kief,

I was told the same thing from an electrician guy that was out to the shop, a few weeks back...

Thanks Kief. Yeah, seems like those VFD's are the ticket pretty much. From what I can gather, it seems like there is a 50% limit, but not sure if that's in both directions or one. For example, if you have something set at 2,000 RPM and turn down the VFD, you could get to 1,000 RPM, or if you turned it up (assuming the machine and motor were capable) you could get 3,000 RPM.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom