Rookie Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What spare parts should I carry when going off road in the mountains with my 62? What are known weak areas that I would be wise to be prepared for? I'm still learning what my cruiser is capable of (lots!) but wouldn't like to be stranded due to ignornace. My 62 is stock, has 215K on it with only 30K on a rebulit motor. Your group wisdom would be appreciated, thanks!

tow rope, jack, shovel (if you are wondering if you will need driveshafts or anything like that; i highly doubt you will, if your truck is only stock you will not be getting into very much trouble that the cruiser cant get you out of. :)

andrew7elk said:
tow rope, jack, shovel (if you are wondering if you will need driveshafts or anything like that; i highly doubt you will, if your truck is only stock you will not be getting into very much trouble that the cruiser cant get you out of. :)

Thanks but I was thinking more along the line of electrical parts, etc that may fail more than anything else. You're right, I doubt I'll be breaking parts and do carry the basics and such. I'm more interested in any known electrical/mechanical weakness I should be aware of.

cxs said:
Thanks but I was thinking more along the line of electrical parts, etc that may fail more than anything else. You're right, I doubt I'll be breaking parts and do carry the basics and such. I'm more interested in any known electrical/mechanical weakness I should be aware of.

Oh, in that case.

Just
Carry a spare coil pack and a set of points, and fuses. Have fun. :D

HawkDriver said:
Oh, in that case.

Just
Carry a spare coil pack and a set of points, and fuses. Have fun. :D

I don't think you'll need points for your 62, (electronic ignition I believe) but they might be helpful if you come across someone with an older LC :)

extra rubber flexible fuel line with clamps. My 88 LC has had it's power fluid lines, tranny line and brake lines rusted/worn out where they are clamped to the vehicle. A few hacksaw blades(some will/might break)will allow you to cut the bad piece off and temporarily splice in a new section. Don't forget to bring extra fluid. My truck is in the midwestern rust belt without any offroad roughness so you might have similar problems once you start shakin things around.My temporary splices for the power steering fluid and the tranny fluid are still in its place after two years!

I h8busted taillights :mad: &%$#!!!!!!!!

Everytime I go wheeling.....I gotta take out a tail light. So hoard a few cheapies or just take tha f**kers out before you go rompin down the trail.

Thanks guys, some things I hadn't considered which is why I asked. A few new questions from your response;
HawkDriver - what's 100 MPH tape? Never heard of it.
Archie and Sixty's guy - thanks, very good ideas and things I'll add to my list.
SCJ006 - I suppose I could save myself some frustration and mount the busted one's I already replaced that the PO provided ;)

HawkDriver said:
Green tape similar to duct tape but stronger. We use it alot in the Army. Duct tape will do the trick though, and hey, you could spray paint it green for effect. :cool:

jk

Ok HawkDriver, heading out for the green paint now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom