Rookie considers first FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across a '78 FJ40 the other day and am considering taking on a new project. Am wondering what a good resource would be to learn common problems to look for in case this is one to avoid.

Also would appreciate opinions as to value. California vehicle. Body is very straight with a few small areas of repaired rust coming through. Red paint faded pretty bad, not original (was mint green). Interior is pretty rough - seats torn, no carpet or headliner. Motor fired right up after obviously sitting for awhile, obvious exhaust leak (growls pretty loud), radiator looks bad, starter grinds for a split second when you turn off the key, missing some smog component on the DS inner fender (box that vac line plug into). The more I write, the more it sounds like a lot of work/$$$. He was asking $4000 but indicated he woul take $3500. Overpriced?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Dan

I'd keep looking.

Cruisers come in four value groups if you ask me as follows:

$0-$4,000 Need a lot of work, poor factory condition.

$3,500-$6,000 Good FJ, stock 2F, needs nothing really, may or may not have some upgrades like disk breaks and so on.

$5,500-$13,000 Motor swap with a 350, or v6, power steering, disk breaks, goo shape and ready to roll. The low end here being a crappy swap and no disk breaks.

$15,000-$75,000 Perfect factory condition.

If you go with the lowest group, and say you bought this one for $3,500 you would have to put $3,000 into having yourself a $4,500 cruiser.

So my words to you are to try to find a good deal on what that needs little and most of all is rust free. I bought mine, gone over 100% frame off 13,000 miles ago, not perfect but pretty nice and very clean for $4,500.

I hope some of this helps as I've asked a lot on here and would like to be able to give some back:)

Soory about that spelling, I know how to spell brakes. You don't want the kindda break I was talking about unless it's on the price of the cruiser. Last thing, buy the most you can afford up front cause it's an arm and a leg on top of a lot of work later.

drenwick said:
Motor fired right up after obviously sitting for awhile, obvious exhaust leak (growls pretty loud),
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Dan

you must not be familiar with the 2F. they're ment to growl like that (austin powers/on) yeah baby(/off) the louder the better. :grinpimp:

if you want more advice, get a digital camera and snap a bunch of pics of the cruiser. Post them here and get some responses to see what everyone here thinks. Might give you the best information.

PS: We all LOVE pics !!!

You'll spend 5-6K depending on your rust. That's not billing time....but if you were not willing to spend the time you would be a late model used Heep.

Good advice gentlemen - I think I'll list all it needs w/approximate cost and show it to him while waving $2000 in his face, or just keep looking. What impressed me the most is how straight and relatively free of rust the body is.

That is one thing that doesn't impress too many people. Most of them are rusted to the edge of their lives. Good luck on it.

drenwick said:
What impressed me the most is how straight and relatively free of rust the body is.

You initially stated this “Body is very straight with a few small areas of repaired rust coming through.”

You then follow it up with this “What impressed me the most is how straight and relatively free of rust the body is”

It would do you a lot of good to see what a really clean truck looks like, so that you do not think that you have found something clean, when in actuality, it is nothing other than a pink mud wagon, waiting to fall apart after the first trip on a washboard road.

Good luck!

-Steve

I guess my point was that most 40s I've seen around here in this price range are dented up and cancer ridden. The one's I've seen in comparable physical condition, but in perfect running order are $7-10K. I've seen a lot of what I consider really clean - they are 15-20 grand.

there are three options and you can only have two. good, cheap, and fast. you can find a good cheap one, but not fast ect. you get the point. often times jsut waiting for the right deal will save you money and time. Might call this. Its in the local paper in Bozeman MT.

"1968 AND 1970 Toyota FJ40 for sale $1100 for both, 406-587-9302, or 406-580-9302"

No affiliation, but might be a better deal to put two together plus $2500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom