Rooftop Cargo Bags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In preparation for my drive up to Maine I was thinking about throwing the light gear (tent, clothes, girlfriend, etc.) up on the factory roof rack in a waterproof cargo bag. We have two stowaways joining us so I need to free up some space in the truck. Does anyone have any recommendations on a waterproof cargo bag? I don't like the bags made by Thule or Yakima. I'm leaning towards the ROLA platypus roof bag. I also noticed that Slee has a nice roof bag but they don't list the dimensions. I'll have to give him a call.

Thanks.

Company here in Salt Lake makes them, Kirkham's. I think they're on the web. They're canvas, so not very waterproof, but very well built. I borrowed a friends and it worked really well, holds a TON of stuff.

I got a Scooby Doo one from Axius.. It was mainly a joke from my co-workers but works in the back of the towrig for extra protected storage. It's on loan right now to a buddy's inlaws who were driving to Virginia from Kansas City.. Guess i'll find out if it worked when they get back..
the Scooby part's pretty funny acutally.. Shows him running on each side and a back view if your behind the vehicle..

I have used the waterproof bags for conoeing with great success on several trips to canada. These are rubberized and 100% waterproof. Have a nice seal when you close them. They come in different sizes but the largest available is about the size of a duffle bag. No complaints. Mine are about 10 years old and are still in good condition after years of abuse Makes loading/unloading the roof rack easier, too. Last trip, I had about 6 up on my rack. Easy to retrrieve something too, if you can remember what bag it's in.

I started using one recently, just a cheapo, don't even know the brand anymore. Holds sleeping bags, tent, some chairs... holds quite a bit of stuff. It does make packing and unpacking easier. I try to keep the light stuff up there. It's held up OK, got kinda trashed in Death Valley this March, snow, rain, bad roads...

Here's a pic:

Last edited:
Kanga Roof Pouch, Hurricane Edition. Bombproof, waterproof, we've been abusing ours for about 8 years and it's like new.

I looked at a couple when I was thinking about buying one. No opinion on either one - just a couple more choices for you. (I never did buy one)

Sherpak

Thule 866

Thanks for the replies. I'm deciding between the ROLA and Kanga bags. The Kanga is $30 cheaper, but the ROLA is bigger. Whatever I decide I post pics/comments when I get back.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom