roofs 45 pick up.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help.....
Can anyone help with roof changes and at what years for the 45 pickup..long and short..also any info on the upper cabs would be appreciated to.
I know somebody knows...
Thanks.
Paul.

lomusass said:
Need some help.....
Can anyone help with roof changes and at what years for the 45 pickup..long and short..also any info on the upper cabs would be appreciated to.
I know somebody knows...
Thanks.
Paul.

As far as I know there are only two caps for the pickup, the removable and the non removable. long or short Bed did not matter.... Although I don't think there were ever any long bed - non removable tops made.
PMK

there weren't any long bed non removeable "tops"...the roof section was removeable on all though.

don't know if there is a difference or not.

SOR told me there are at least two variations in the roof top size for FJ45s, and they cut/carry different headliners. Someone there (no idea of their name) explained this all to me years ago when I got a mis-cut headliner that didn't fit my FJ45. I wish I could be more helpful, but I can only say that not all FJ45 tops are the same size, through the years, according to SOR.

Steve

LWB, SWB removable, and SWB fixed were all different.

I have 2 of the 3 in my garage now. Learned the hard way. What do you need? Pics or measurements? or template?
Pretty sure I have in my garage
SWB Fixed top (which I know to be correct)
SWB Removable top? (Not positive on this one)

As soon as I can get up to Chef's then maybe I can possibly find out ?
I do know for starters the fixed top 45 shorty roof cap is smooth vs removable tops have the ribs..
PMK don't you have the removable top on your shorty? I'm thinking we can solve this puzzle!

tornadoalleycruiser said:
As soon as I can get up to Chef's then maybe I can possibly find out ?
I do know for starters the fixed top 45 shorty roof cap is smooth vs removable tops have the ribs..
PMK don't you have the removable top on your shorty? I'm thinking we can solve this puzzle!

Yea, My SWB removable top is (rusty) steel and has the ribs (for her pleasure), they make it go faster. I think it is identicle to a removable top from a long bed.
Mudrak just had his SWB fixed top repiared (and a sunroof put in) and IIRC he said it was assembled by toyota from 7 individual peices.... 3 per side and a center section. it is a smooth bubble shape.
PMK

I don't have a truck to measure, but my assumption was based on the specifications which show the LPB to be 1 inch wider than the LP.

Haven't had much time to browse the forums lately and missed this one.

Another difference to note is that the earlier roofs [the ones we saw stateside, pre 67] had the pull down levers and the associated brace that spanned the front of the cab behind the windshield frame.

The later model tops [not sure of exact production date change] switched to conventional FJ40 type mounting over windshield, with screws that went into the front face of the windshield frame, but without the special pull down levers and the interior brace.

Hth

Mark A.

pygpen said:
Hmmm.... You got me thinking now.
The later models also had a cool little braket that went over the corner window to mount the shoulder belt to.
PMK

BINGO!:bounce:

And a different provision for the cab light!

Thanks..
Please any other stuff you guys think of, I'm trying to get up some molds, but I need to know as much as I can .
All your help is very much appreciated..
Paul..

lomusass said:
HOW ABOUT THE UPPER CABS FOR THE EARLY ONES..60s

How about what? Specs? Mostly covered those above. The early ones didn't have the opening for the cab light like the later ones, didn't have the provision for the shoulder harness like the later ones. They did have threaded inserts at 5 points in the upper cab [one on each side, three across the back] for the J-hooks that the lower cab latches anchored onto to hold the upper cab down.

I actually have an upper cab section from a 65 that is a little too rusty to sell that you could use for specs, but have no idea how to get it to you.:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom