Roofnest/Hard Shell Roof Tent on Stock Roof Rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some searching but haven't found anything about this. Looking through the gallery, it seems like most people are using aftermarket racks to mount these. Is there a possibility to mount a hard shell tent onto the stock rack? Has anyone done it?

My LC was repainted a year ago so I'm not looking to do any modifications to the 10/10 paint.

Thanks,

Stock rack is only rated for 250 LB when new.

Don't do it. Use gutter mounts.

Thanks fellas. That was the answer I needed. I'll do some searching through the threads, but any quick gutter mount recommendations?

Gamiviti towers and steel tubing and you’re in the game !

Gamiviti and Frontrunner aluminum load bars. I found each component here on the Mud classifieds.

20200830_104343.jpg

Let me know if I can help anyone with load bars. I’ve got a bit of 1x2” tubing in my garage.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm looking at Gamiviti gutter mounts and just want to make sure these aren't going to gouge the paint. My gutter rail had the trim removed when it was repainted. Is there a place to buy these? I was also thinking of just getting some sturdy rubber to put on the contact points of the mounts, although I'm not exactly sure how that will look.

Check your local yard sales and classifieds for old Thule and Yakima gutter mounts they hold RTT nicely as well as plenty of other things and people are always trying to offload them it seems like.. I think around a month ago picked up a nice set of Yakima 1A towers with keys and bars that fit our rain gutters for $80 CAD shipped to me off kijiji our version of Craiglist. They're out there you just need to find them! heres an example of what the Yakima towers look like

s-l1600.jpg

I think any gutter mount has the potential to scratch/skuff/chip your paint. The Yakimas are a thermoplastic main body with rubber-coated metal clamps. Those might be less likely to scatch/skuff/chip your new paint. You could Plastidip the Gamivit ones or use some large heat shrink on them.

High quality product and supports IH8Mud And the offroad community.

I have the Gamiviti gutter mounts. They're very stout and adjustable. I've got my "rack" about an inch off the roof with the adjustment. My "roof rack" for my tent and awning is very simple. You buy 6 of the gamiviti gutter mounts and you then buy 1 inch square bar from the hard ware store. Drill holes in the square bar and mount it up to the gutter mounts.

Gamiviti and Frontrunner aluminum load bars. I found each component here on the Mud classifieds.

View attachment 2472820

I'm sure those load bars are nice and light, but an easier solution is to just by 1x1" square tube from the hardware store. I have 6 gamiviti gutters and some square bar. It's light enough, and you can weld to it, to make awning mounts.

I have the Gamiviti gutter mounts. They're very stout and adjustable. I've got my "rack" about an inch off the roof with the adjustment. My "roof rack" for my tent and awning is very simple. You buy 6 of the gamiviti gutter mounts and you then buy 1 inch square bar from the hard ware store. Drill holes in the square bar and mount it up to the gutter mounts.

I love the simplicity of the platform style mounts. I’ve used a bunch of the gamivitI standard style Mounts (GX, 4Runner, etc). I’m optimistic my 80 will fit in the garage with just the gutter mounts on, andI can quickly Install/ remove a roof rack When I need to use it.I haven’t measured it yet, but 37’s and standard door height, not much extra room.

Check your local yard sales and classifieds for old Thule and Yakima gutter mounts they hold RTT nicely as well as plenty of other things and people are always trying to offload them it seems like.. I think around a month ago picked up a nice set of Yakima 1A towers with keys and bars that fit our rain gutters for $80 CAD shipped to me off kijiji our version of Craiglist. They're out there you just need to find them! heres an example of what the Yakima towers look like

View attachment 2473079

So, I have a set of Thule gutter mounts and cross bars, and I don't recommend going this route. You will have to find the bars which are specific to the gutter mounts and finding ones that are wide enough has proven difficult. This is not a platform you can expand on, all you get is gutter mounts and cross bars, if you're luck enough to get that. New replacement parts are expensive for what they are in comparison. I also did not feel confident in the load this style could carry, mine were already bent in the middle and rusted on the ends.

If you want my thule gutter mounts and cross bars, I'm in Grand Junction Colorado

So, I have a set of Thule gutter mounts and cross bars, and I don't recommend going this route. You will have to find the bars which are specific to the gutter mounts and finding ones that are wide enough has proven difficult. This is not a platform you can expand on, all you get is gutter mounts and cross bars, if you're luck enough to get that. New replacement parts are expensive for what they are in comparison. I also did not feel confident in the load this style could carry, mine were already bent in the middle and rusted on the ends.

Ya honestly kinda would agree with this, Thules stuff is pretty junk for gutter mounts and cross bars in comparison, I’ve always found the round Yakima bars way stronger in comparison, but I do love Thule ski boxs compared to Yakima haha. Change my original statement. Look on classified for the 1A towers and then if you snag some 58” bars which aren’t super common grab those if not new ones are like 100 bucks and then your golden!

The only time I’ve seen a Yakima 1A tower fail is when a tree feel on the truck, slightly bent the Yakima bar and then the 20 year old plastic of the tower broke... heck saved the truck so it can support a RTT in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom