ROOF TOP TENT SET UP FOR 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there have recommendations and suggestions on putting a roof top tent on a 1984 FJ60 (actually the roof is off an '86...did a restoration on my FJ60...I'm original owner... swapped 2F and trans with an LS3 and NV4500 trans). I want to be able to take it on and off when not using and put my surf racks back on. I think I prefer a hard case rather than soft top, but open to ideas. Needs to be heavy duty. Thanks for the help. Dave

Have you used one before or driven a vehicle with one? Seen a bunch of mentions lately where people sold the RTT and switched to a sleeping platform in the back instead.

My R.T.T.

and what I recommend to you sir if it’s just two people @David Ish

7516100C-82BE-4337-9343-185BAB84B68E.jpeg

I’m with Rhah...ESPECIALLY if you plan to actually wheel.

If you are not planning on any wheeling (serious wheeling or even not so serious) then a RTT can make sense...but NOT so if wheeling is involved.

I have an iron-man tent, which is very similar to ARB or any of the bi-fold style tents. My 60 weighs about 6300lbs when its in full camping kit, which is tough to drag around on trails. Even with front and rear sway bars, you can feel the weight up there. It takes a bit of time to set-up and tear down, but so do ground tents. I like having a flat, easy to level place to sleep, as there aren't many of those in the Rocky Mountains for ground tents. I have a trailer for when we take the kids with us. I did a test comparing the RTT and towing a trailer, and the truck maintains speed better towing, but its definitely more challenging to tow while off-road.

4B15B1D9-AE15-47CC-A749-5379046D7537.jpg

Another alternative that I have yet to try but is worth mentioning is the cot tent. It’s a tent but sits up off the ground on legs. Can be had in different sizes. Solves the sleeping on sharp rocks problem, prevents the river of water from flowing through the tent at 3am with the surprise rainstorm....unless it’s a real river and then you have other issues. But still packs up pretty small in the back.

actually this makes me think there is a new market here for a hitch based platform tent. Off the ground but not hard to get in and out of. Keeps weight down low and packs up smaller. Hmmm ideas ideas 🤔🤫💡

I pre ordered a gofast campers superlite tent. Its only 80 lbs and is easy to remove when youre not using it. Using a gamiviti flat rack for it. Seems pretty legit.

Cruiser gear has a RTT on their website for about $3200 iirc. If you timed the purchase with the last hours of one of their cruiser give aways you'd earn a lot of entries :)

The hard shell tents offer simpler deployment and take down plus great insulation and weather proofing. Generally they are going to be more stream lined and quieter up top. Wind is less of a problem too especially with certain types. Maggiolina makes a tried and true quality product, I've been using one for quite a few years now. It is very comfortable, durable, strong and has provided a great place to sleep. I'd buy another without hesitation if necessary. It's a size medium, fits excellent on the roof of a 60. The small would work great too if less room is not of need.

I know the Alucab are well made too but heavier.

Screenshot_20210427-205015.png

The hard shell tents offer simpler deployment and take down plus great insulation and weather proofing. Generally they are going to be more stream lined and quieter up top. Wind is less of a problem too especially with certain types. Maggiolina makes a tried and true quality product, I've been using one for quite a few years now. It is very comfortable, durable, strong and has provided a great place to sleep. I'd buy another without hesitation if necessary. It's a size medium, fits excellent on the roof of a 60. The small would work great too if less room is not of need.

I know the Alucab are well made too but heavier.

View attachment 2658892
They make a 1st floor model?

Ha that would be cool, good news though is that any Land Cruiser has that option built in already in the rear cargo area!

Those Marlin trailers sure are cool. I saw your post on another thread about them. I had seen them before too, certainly an impressive setup. Reminds me of a quick deploy canvas tent on wheels with extra storage and utility.

We slept in the back of our 60 quite a bit. I built a small platform that is convertible so it can be partially removed when the seat is up. There is BARELY enough room inside for 2 people to sleep and that is without a fridge or anything back there. We are trying the tent out because it gets tight back there and then you add a dog and a fridge and otehr stuff and its pretty small.

These military trailers seem to show up on CL a lot...at least around me. They seem to range in price from about $500 to $2000 depending on condition and greed of seller :confused:. They would probably make a great platform for a...well...platform. Probably a little heavier but should have no clearance issues off road and usually rated to carry plenty of weight. Not sure if any of them came with brakes or what it might take to retrofit....likely and axle swap.

1619622470289.png

Yeah, that's the other tent that we have. Although I have a more complicated trailer.

View attachment 2659138
That rocks. How do you like it?? The thought of climbing up/down a ladder to take a leak twice or more a night makes me think a roof top wld suck...

I put a Roof nest on top of my Chevy. Seems to be pretty good quality material, and built well. Takes 30 seconds to pop it up, about 2 mins to take it down. I keep all my pillows and bedding in it while collapsed and no leaks yet. I went with the largest one they had because of the head room, but they have smaller ones that will fit any roof top. I like it, a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

I put a Roof nest on top of my Chevy. Seems to be pretty good quality material, and built well. Takes 30 seconds to pop it up, about 2 mins to take it down. I keep all my pillows and bedding in it while collapsed and no leaks yet. I went with the largest one they had because of the head room, but they have smaller ones that will fit any roof top. I like it, a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

View attachment 2659248

View attachment 2659249
Sh.it...now i just need a Chevy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom