Roof top tent on factory rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were able to throw in at the last minute and go on an "overlanding" trip with the Cottonland Cruiser Club to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in South Texas. Due to the ruggedness of the terrain that we would be on I didn't want to take our camping trailer with the RTT on it so I needed to get the tent onto the factory rack of the 100.

After looking and measuring it quickly became apparent that it would only go on facing the rear of the truck.

20160109_161648.jpg

So I pulled the trailer to my buddy's shop and utilized the hoist to make it all happen.
20160109_164254.jpg

Made some new brackets and rubber feet out of old conveyor belt to protect the rack
20160109_191354.jpg

20160109_192544.jpg

Bought some new grade 8 bolts and lock nuts and installed it all
20160109_204605.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good in my opinion
20160109_204639.jpg

Got her home and the tent all opened up
20160112_125852.jpg

We hit some pretty rough stuff and it held up without a problem and I had no movement. My daughter kind of liked still having the sunroof.
thumb_DSC_0319_1024-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good man! I rock my Tepui Grand Sabana on my stock roof rack for my 100 Series as well.

Unfortunately I made the huge mistake and did this with my 80 Series roof rack this weekend. After 3 days and almost 200 miles off road in Moab I noticed that I completely destroyed the factory roof rack. Luckly I made it home with no series issues.
uploadfromtaptalk1453260057270.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453260093393.JPG

I've been advised against utilizing the stock rack due to its load limit per Tepui themselves in their Santa Cruz showroom. Also, reference this thread here on mud >> stock roof rack questions

That said, I'll be going the Rhino Rack route for the added reassurance. I'm also incentivized by a missing rear end cap on my stock rack...

Someone commented in a thread from overseas that they're racks state a lot higher load rating on the same rack. This thing was SOLID. I have no reservations about it and will do it again.

It's fine on the 100 Series factory roof rack. My tent weights somewhere around 200 lbs and I didn't have a single issue with it on the 100.

Sent from my SM-G900V

The tent weight plus the weight of the occupants can reach in excess of 500 lbs, far exceeding the weight rating of the stock rack. I'm curious about long-term success to these claims and what variables are at play.

It appears the achilles to the stock rack are the cross-members. To which component(s) of the rack are you all mounting these tents to?

Side runners.

Does that limit the orientation of the RTT? I'm aware that may be a make/model specific question.

Yes. Ours has to open to the rear.

I've been advised against utilizing the stock rack due to its load limit per Tepui themselves in their Santa Cruz showroom. Also, reference this thread here on mud >> stock roof rack questions

That said, I'll be going the Rhino Rack route for the added reassurance. I'm also incentivized by a missing rear end cap on my stock rack...
So tired of guys saying you cannot mount on factory rails--like they are engineers. I just had my Tepui on 4Runner rails(not cross bars) and went 16K thru 20 states with no problem. Offroad, on sand, up hill etc.

IMG_4472.JPG

Bump.
I am thinking i will get a RTT and utilize the stock roof rack runners

Id like to know which tent model options that allow the use of factory runners and can open out to the side

Thanks in advance

So tired of guys saying you cannot mount on factory rails--like they are engineers. I just had my Tepui on 4Runner rails(not cross bars) and went 16K thru 20 states with no problem. Offroad, on sand, up hill etc.

View attachment 1743370
Isn't the stock rack weight rating a limit for when you are moving? When you're static it should be much higher.

I am sure someone else can set the record straight for sure, but that was my impression. And to your point, I don't usually see that mentioned.

Bump.
I am thinking i will get a RTT and utilize the stock roof rack runners

Id like to know which tent model options that allow the use of factory runners and can open out to the side

Thanks in advance

You can either orient the tent cross bars to sit directly on top of the roof rack side rails (have it open to the side or rear), or buy a beefier crossbar system and have the tent rails forward and back in relation to the vehicle.

I make and sell basic cross bars for roof top tents (keenanOffroadFab), and LFD offroad sells model specific cross bars that will accept a tent. Good luck

When I bought my cruiser it did not have the stock roof rack. I bought the Rhino load bars and attached my Tepui tent to it. It is mounted to 2 of the load bars and I've had no issues.

View attachment 1812617

View attachment 1812618
Hi, nice rig and setup.
Could you please specify which Rhino model you bought?
You have inspired to go a similar way...

following. Might be getting a tent in the future and would like to utilize the oem rack.

Isn't the stock rack weight rating a limit for when you are moving? When you're static it should be much higher.

I am sure someone else can set the record straight for sure, but that was my impression. And to your point, I don't usually see that mentioned.
I had no problems and the only thing I did was chock the center of the rails
when camping and there was no damage or problems. Most of the load ratings are for the cross bars. All I know it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom